Grey Veil Covers Screen After Drag Command

Lautarese

Hello,

After I execute a drag command either with the mouse from the drop down Edit Menu or through a keyboard shortcut my screen momentarily gets a 'grey veil' covering it. Then the screen clears and the drag is accomplished. I also get the grey veil after doing an undo using Commmand/Z. I have only seen this before when I have inadvertently hit wrong keys by accident and then it is accompanied by a notification chime. I have never seen this before when I have entered an edit command with the Edit Menu or through a keyboard shortcut.

Thanks.

Lautarese

the scary part is, as david points out, that's usually the kind of screen you get with a kernel panic. meanwhile...

check accessibilty settings (in system prefs); just a thought. sounds like some sort-of visual response to what you're doing. also... do you have any app like bettertouchtool installed? just some thoughts...

Funny you should ask David, yes, I am running 10.7.4 with Logic 9. I tried restarting and that hasn't helped.  I called up Apple tech support a few years back when I had a kernel panic and they gave me a suggestion but I can't remember what it was. Fisherking I don't have an app like bettertouchtool running. Where in Sys. Pref. is accessibility settings?

Thanks.

Jason

The only thing that fits your description is the 'enable access for assistive devices' box which I have unchecked. This problem is very, very recent.

some of these settings can be turned on with a key combo; i had a friend do that very thing some years ago (turn on something in universal access when she was entering a key command in QuarkXpress).

has turning that off made a difference?

The only problem with trying to point it to just key commands is that it also happens when I use the mouse in the drop-down edit window

Help Mr. Wizard!!

i got that, but still worth trying. troubleshooting something like this is about removing possible culprits, one-at-a time.... try deleting (or at least changing) your key command presets, see if anything changes...

Did you try logging in as a different user and running logic?.. If the problem goes away, Then it's something in your personal user settings..  

Does this do this to all Logic songs every time, or only one project?  (project corrupted).. If project corrupted, Turn off Audio engine. open a new project, and drag tracks from corrupt project to new one..  Save new one, close corrupted, turn audio engine back on. If you're not using 3rd party plug-ins - you don't have to turn audio engine off - when you move back/forth between two songs, audio engine re-initializes itself each time, dumping and reloading the plug-ins. 

Try deleting Logic Plists (Logic shortcut key commands will be set back to default)..  

Last resort, (and I've done this a few times, when Logic starts acting wrong)..  Boot computer in recovery mode.. and select the command, that re-installs OSX again.. You're settings stay intact.. Logic, like most apps, calls processes from OSX (so they don't have to write that code into their program).. 

Since you're not on the most current OSX.. I'd check with Apple, if you can re-up 10.7.4 and not update to newest OSX.. Good luck

I have determined two things:

It doesn't happen on a new project

It only happens when dragging tracks using Undo drag or Redo drag either through the Edit dropdown menu or key command. Other edit commands and keyboard commands are fine. It is solely related to undoing or redoing the dragging of tracks.

I also decided to freeze a fair amount of tracks to see if it would make a diff and that was unsuccessful too.

Yes I think I am going to live with it. This song has many tracks and I would not relish the task of having to copy and paste them.

I can't thank you enough for trying to figure it out. There is also the possibility that one day I will open the project and the problem will be gone As sometimes it happens with computers.

Thanks again,

Jason

I never witnessed the pointer tool turning to Marquis tool.. so I don't know what that implies. 

Once the screen turns grey, that's it right? nothing else can happen?.   A kernel  panic is like a grey shade being quickly  pulled down the monitor, and I believe there's some printed warning message..  All you can do is reboot computer.. If your computer is not totally frozen, then you have another issue.

There is one more trick, a SMC reset.. turn computer on, and hold OPTION, CONTROL R,P.   Keep holding them down, every 10 - 15 seconds, the computer will chime..  it's trying to reboot..  HOLD down these keys until you get 7 chimes. then release, computer will boot up..  On older desktops, you can remove side panel, and you will find a red button on mother board, press this once..

One final thing on new mac pro (don't know if this works on older macs or not..  Is press and hold the power button, you are force quitting the machine..  Keep holding power button, and pull out AC power plug.. Wait 7 seconds, while still holding power button down  (yeah it sound like voodoo, but an Apple tech guys told me to do this.).. Then plug AC plug back in and boot up. 

Thanks those are great suggestions. I have actually done both those before but it's not something I kept in the front of my memory. I don't consider either one of them voodoo especially if one of them works. Then it sound science! I can't deal with it right now as I am facing hurricane Matthew.

Thanks again, best,

Jason