I/O Send super quiet

brandonpturner

Hello!

So here's the layout...

I have a channel strip with a send to a bus with an I/O on it. The channel strip is guitar and the I/O is the I/O of my Strymon pedals as they are connected to the interface.

I can see on my meters that sound is go through and I can hear it, but very very faintly. All volumes are good as direct connections all work fine. I want to bus the FX though and record that way. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone experience this? Thanks!

Logic Pro X, 2015 MacBook Pro, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56

By sending the dry guitar signal to a bus and processing it on the bus, but also outputting the dry guitar directly to the Stereo Output, you're achieving parallel processing: a mix of the processed and dry signals. Is that what you're shooting for?

If yes, to hear more effect, simply raise the send level and lower the guitar channel strip fader. If not, insert the I/O directly on the Guitar channel strip, without any send/bus/aux configuration. That is serial processing, which is the equivalent of plugging your guitar into the pedal, and the pedal into the amp.

By sending the dry guitar signal to a bus and processing it on the bus, but also outputting the dry guitar directly to the Stereo Output, you're achieving parallel processing: a mix of the processed and dry signals. Is that what you're shooting for?

If yes, to hear more effect, simply raise the send level and lower the guitar channel strip fader. If not, insert the I/O directly on the Guitar channel strip, without any send/bus/aux configuration. That is serial processing, which is the equivalent of plugging your guitar into the pedal, and the pedal into the amp.

Thanks, David! TBH, serial sounds like what I want. I didn't consider turning the channel strip down and bumping the bus up. Everything is at 0 right now and I never really go above that. I'll try to put the I/O on the channel and see how that goes. But let's say my Guitar input is 2, Strymon stack is in 3, out 4. Would I still set the I/O to In 3/Out 4? Then how does that get to the monitors? Haha. Sorry I'm confused.

But let's say my Guitar input is 2, Strymon stack is in 3, out 4. Would I still set the I/O to In 3/Out 4? Then how does that get to the monitors? Haha. Sorry I'm confused.

Yes. Just let the output of the guitar channel strip set to Stereo Out (the default setting) then it will be routed to your monitors. So the dry guitar enters your audio interface on input 2, comes back output 4 which is connected to the input of your pedal, the output of the pedal goes to input 3 on your audio interface which goes back to the channel strip, finally the processed guitar sound is routed to Stereo Out which is outputs 1-2, connected to your monitors.

But let's say my Guitar input is 2, Strymon stack is in 3, out 4. Would I still set the I/O to In 3/Out 4? Then how does that get to the monitors? Haha. Sorry I'm confused.

Yes. Just let the output of the guitar channel strip set to Stereo Out (the default setting) then it will be routed to your monitors. So the dry guitar enters your audio interface on input 2, comes back output 4 which is connected to the input of your pedal, the output of the pedal goes to input 3 on your audio interface which goes back to the channel strip, finally the processed guitar sound is routed to Stereo Out which is outputs 1-2, connected to your monitors.

Amazing. I will give it a shot!

Great. Let us know how that works for you. 

Alright. So. I added the I/O to the channel strip and it works! But... it's still super quiet. I have to really crank the input level of that one channel on the interface. I'm wondering if it's just a current issue? I dunno. I'm sticking with parallel (bus) though because doing it in series means every other channel strip that has the I/O gets hit at the same time with the signal. haha.

Side note: This isn't terrible as I'm not clipping, but I can hear staticky distortion in it from being up so high. Not sure where or why. 

Great. Let us know how that works for you. 

Alright. So. I added the I/O to the channel strip and it works! But... it's still super quiet. I have to really crank the input level of that one channel on the interface. I'm wondering if it's just a current issue? I dunno. I'm sticking with parallel (bus) though because doing it in series means every other channel strip that has the I/O gets hit at the same time with the signal. haha.

Side note: This isn't terrible as I'm not clipping, but I can hear staticky distortion in it from being up so high. Not sure where or why. 

Have you tried raising the volume sliders in the I/O-plugin ? 

Also, in your mixer software for your interface maybe you can raise the output signal from output4 ? 

Regarding serial vs parallel routing, you can still have the I/O on an aux and get serial processing, you only have to set the output of your guitar track to the bus, instead of using a send. 

Have you tried raising the volume sliders in the I/O-plugin ? 

Also, in your mixer software for your interface maybe you can raise the output signal from output4 ? 

Regarding serial vs parallel routing, you can still have the I/O on an aux and get serial processing, you only have to set the output of your guitar track to the bus, instead of using a send. 

Hey thanks for the tip. That makes perfect sense regarding the serial bus. I have messed with the I/O levels, but it just gets gross so far as I can tell. I have to keep fussing with it. Regarding the Strymon stack, it's currently a Timeline and a Big Sky I will (actually right now) be putting on different I/O instead of running one through the next. 

I guess the next thing I have to worry about is actually RECORDING this stuff. It sounds all fine and dandy in the DAW, but if I don't have a pedal connected, it's not gonna playback correctly. I've seen writing the tracks before, but that is a sloppy process. :/