Reduce Plosives in Main Window, Not Audio File Editor

ajedlen

I'm looking for the quickest set of steps to reduce speech plosives. If I want to avoid the Audio File Editor and stay in the Main window, it appears necessary to Marquee the plosive, click and separate it into its own region, shorten the leading edge of the resulting region and run a fade-in on it. This chops off a chunk of the plosive, leaves some in place and smooths its entrance. Any better methods will be greatly appreciated.

I do a lot of this kind of editing.  I DO use the audio editor, but if you don't want to do destructive editing on the file, you can identify the pop or what ever in the Main Editing window and do any of the following;

1.Use the "gain" in the inspector on that region to reduce it until its acceptable.  This is non destructive.

2. Take that small part of the file and cut and move it to another track with high pass EQ. Once you've created this track,you can take other offending pops and move them as needed to this "hi pass" track.. and/or use gain on that track to make it sound as natural as possible.

3. Make a copy of the file and use the audio editor.

Using an adjacent track for all the pops is a great idea. What would be nice would be cross fading between the adjacent tracks with a single tool/operation. Just being a bit lazy about performing the fade out and then in by hand on the tracks. But thank you for the advice.

Interesting suggestion, I'll give it a try.  I'm dealing with humongous filesizes, a GB or more, and anything to speed the process of correcting the large amount of plosives that arrive with the recorded file (our group of editors are receiving these files on SD cards from a wide variety of recordists in the field, so the quality varies a ton) is extremely welcome. Thanks for the tip.

Hi Dan, I came across the below multipressor page from askaudio, tried the settings and they were effective. Although also going into the Audio File Editor afterward with the pencil improved the pop removal. The settings are accompanied by quite clear rationales. Check this page out and see if it works for you and we can compare notes: https://ask.audio/articles/purging-plosives-with-logic-pro. Thanks, Andy