Can I use Garage Band Sound in LPX?

Christopher11

Hi.  I was with a friend today, helping him compose a song in Garage Band and liked an instrument patch called Hypnotic Synth Bass.  It's really more of an arpeggio kind of patch.  Is there a way to open these patches in LPX?  I tried Option clicking on the instrument, to show Legacy, but it just showed a bunch of simply synths and instruments.  There was no choice for Garage Band, and this patch didn't show up with a Library search.  Thank you for any replies.

and this patch didn't show up with a Library search. 

Totally missed that bit :oops:

But like MikeRobinson said, you should definitely have access to it. if it's any help, over here I have it both as a patch (residing inside the Resources folder of the Logic app itself), and as an Alchemy setting (preset) under Basic/Rhythmic.

J.

Thank you guys both, for the helpful responses.  I tried again, a Library search comes up with nothing.  I think it's probably because I still have Mac OS 10.10.5 and Logic 10.1.1.  For example, I don't even have Alchemy, and my understanding is, I can't use it until I update to at least 10.11. 

I just didn't want a bunch of compatibility issues with my soft synths: Massive, and others.  But I should go for it.  Tell me please: If I back up my entire HD to an external drive (I do this weekly anyway, using SuperDuper to an external USB drive), can I always revert back to my current state, and software versions?  Thank you for any reply.

I tried again, a Library search comes up with nothing.  I think it's probably because I still have Mac OS 10.10.5 and Logic 10.1.1.  For example, I don't even have Alchemy, and my understanding is, I can't use it until I update to at least 10.11. 

That's your problem right there, yes. This patch is relatively recent and uses/requires Alchemy.

If I backup entire HD to external drive, can I restore it, even with earlier OS, after upgrading?

Sure. You could use Time Machine for that or better yet software that will allow you to create a bootable clone of your current system drive. I recommend SuperDuper! but there's also Carbon Copy Cloner.

J.

• 9 months later...

Hi.  Thank you guys for your help with this earlier post.  I upgraded to El Capitan (A friend had it on his machine, so was able to avoid Sierra at this time).  My LPX version is 10.2.4.   I did tell LPX to download all additional sounds, so if there are any new ones associated with 10.2.4, I assume it is doing that.  I checked Garage Band, that version is listed at 10.2.0. 

I was able to find Hypnotic Synth Bass with a Library search, loaded it, and it is indeed an Alchemy patch as you said.  Tell me please, how do I access other GarageBand sounds?  Are they just listed under their various names in Library?  Or is there a listing anywhere under Garage Band?  Because I recall finding a fair amount of patches i liked in GB. 

Thank you for any replies.