Keyboard Midi Patch Names Load/Recall Problem

Jlogic9

Hi All,

When I launch Logic Pro 9.1.8 and it loads a song I’m working on, none of my keyboard sound/patches that are assigned to the midi instrument hardware tracks play what’s listed in the track and what I saved previously, even though all the patches/sounds from all the keyboards are listed and available in the drop down menu (MT4 Port 1 > Juno Stage, MT4 Port 2 > Kurzweil PC1X, MT4 Port 3>Roland JV1010 ). (All midi from Logic and 3rd party audio instruments work fine).

For example, if I have a Port 1 “Staccato Violin” listed, when I first load the song it will NOT play that sound, even though it’s set to that sound. It will play some other (seemingly random) sound. In order to get the sound to match what the track name/patch name is (and what’s been recorded), I have to open the drop down menu patch name, and manually move the cursor to a different name in the drop down menu (either directly above or below), and  then re-select the patch name that is listed. I then have to do that for every single midi keyboard (or keyboard module) track and patch.

That’s not a big deal when there’s only one or two tracks to fix, but when the  song has 20 of them it’s a pain. It seems that there’s some program system change that’s happening (or not happening) where Logic does NOT load the already recorded hardware keyboard patch names in a song and they must be manually re-selected each time.

Obviously, I’d love to be able to fix that.

Also, weirdly whenever I select the record button (‘R”) on a keyboard midi track, then press the RECORD button, the blue mute button on that track also comes on and I have to quickly de-select it during the pre-roll/record bar. How do I fix that?

And if that wasn’t enough, even though I engage the CLICK track button and ensure that all the metronome settings are selected to play, the CLICK track no longer plays. Obviously, this has not been a good week...

The thought of erasing and re-installing everything is simply too much to take right now. Mostly because I paid a fellow to set it all up and he’s no longer in the business and the last 2 “experts” I paid to come over to do it only had expertise in setting up their own home studios it cost my money to have them say “I don’t know.”

At the very least, can someone suggest a fix so that when I launch/load a song, there’s program change message that ensures that the Keyboard Midi tracks that are recorded actually play the patch/sound listed without me having to individually select a new patch sound then choose the recorded one again?

Any and all help is appreciated.  BTW, I’ve attached a couple screenshots just for some visuals.  Thanks -- Jeff

Studio:

iMac 27”  (2011) i7 Quad Core w/ 32gb ram & Sandisk X400 SSD w/Firewire 800

Logic Pro 9.1.8

Apple Mountain Lion (10.8.6)

MOTU 828MK3 Hybrid w/ Firewire 800

Gtech 7200rpm hard drive (virtual instruments)

Glyph RAID 7200rpm (record audio path)

Focusrite ISA One preamp

Juno Stage 76 keyboard

Kurzweil PC1x 88 keyboard

Roland JV1010 sound module

Samson Headphone Amp

Neuman TLM 103

Rode NT1A

MOTU MT4 Midi interface

Logic Arrange Window.pdf

Logic Environment Screenshot.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

When I launch Logic Pro 9.1.8 and it loads a song I’m working on, none of my keyboard sound/patches that are assigned to the midi instrument hardware tracks play what’s listed in the track and what I saved previously, even though all the patches/sounds from all the keyboards are listed and available in the drop down menu (MT4 Port 1 > Juno Stage, MT4 Port 2 > Kurzweil PC1X, MT4 Port 3>Roland JV1010 ). (All midi from Logic and 3rd party audio instruments work fine).

For example, if I have a Port 1 “Staccato Violin” listed, when I first load the song it will NOT play that sound, even though it’s set to that sound. It will play some other (seemingly random) sound. In order to get the sound to match what the track name/patch name is (and what’s been recorded), I have to open the drop down menu patch name, and manually move the cursor to a different name in the drop down menu (either directly above or below), and  then re-select the patch name that is listed. I then have to do that for every single midi keyboard (or keyboard module) track and patch.

Mentioning that the right patch being either directly above or below the one Logic selects makes me believe that it could be caused by the two patch numbering protocols (Yamaha's and Roland's) discrepancy. I am not using LP9 anymore, but I think there is a pref or project setting that addresses that issue. If not, perhaps recording a Program Change event at the beginning of the MIDI region would be a more straightforward solution...

That’s not a big deal when there’s only one or two tracks to fix, but when the  song has 20 of them it’s a pain. It seems that there’s some program system change that’s happening (or not happening) where Logic does NOT load the already recorded hardware keyboard patch names in a song and they must be manually re-selected each time.

OTOH, if possible, you could record the patch SysEx (instead of the Program Change event previuosly mentioned), if your hardware could support that.

Also, weirdly whenever I select the record button (‘R”) on a keyboard midi track, then press the RECORD button, the blue mute button on that track also comes on and I have to quickly de-select it during the pre-roll/record bar. How do I fix that?

That could be due to either some controller wrong assignment or wrong controller installation in the Control Surface Setup window.

-In case of wrong controller assignment, you would normally verify that in the Controller Assignment window, while having that window opened trigerring the Record button on your controller should highlight the corresponding assignments (Record and Mute); in which case, deleting the Mute assignment should solve the issue.

-In case of wrong or undue controller installation, using the Bypass All Control Surface command from the main menu would comfirm it; in which case you could solve the problem by deleting the wrong controller installed from the Controller Setup window.

And if that wasn’t enough, even though I engage the CLICK track button and ensure that all the metronome settings are selected to play, the CLICK track no longer plays. Obviously, this has not been a good week...

Check in the mixer to check if the Klopfgeist channelstrip is not muted or the volume fader is not all the way down... Also, if the output of the metronome has not been reassigned to something else than the Klopfgeist...

The thought of erasing and re-installing everything is simply too much to take right now. Mostly because I paid a fellow to set it all up and he’s no longer in the business and the last 2 “experts” I paid to come over to do it only had expertise in setting up their own home studios it cost my money to have them say “I don’t know.”

Sometimes (if the anove did not help) reinitializing the pref files could do wonders. Here is a tip list for troubleshooting common issues, although pertaining to LPX, they are applyable to LP9 as well.

At the very least, can someone suggest a fix so that when I launch/load a song, there’s program change message that ensures that the Keyboard Midi tracks that are recorded actually play the patch/sound listed without me having to individually select a new patch sound then choose the recorded one again?

Any and all help is appreciated.  BTW, I’ve attached a couple screenshots just for some visuals.  Thanks -- Jeff

Hoping the above will help.

:idea:BTW, posting shorter help request would increase your chances to get more replies. You could have devided this one in 3 different posts...

Volovicg -- I thought you might have hit upon the solution (Logic 9 has the exact same page/option as above) but when I checked to see what was selected, it seems that I already had checked the box you indicated. So unfortunately that's not it. But weirdly, if I open a project, and then manually initiate all the hardware midi sounds (one by one, by simply selecting any other one from the drop name of names then return to the one recorded), then any other project I open it will default to the correct hardware midi sounds. So, for example, if I do it in song "Apple Jacks", close song "Apple Jacks" and launch song "Bubble Gum", Bubble Gum will load all the correct sounds without me having to do anything. So, any other suggestions?? So weird.

Atlas 007 -- first, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't know how to record a program change as a solution. Can you walk me through that? Also, it's not Roland and Yamaha. It's roland and Kurzweil. And then, I have no idea how to record Sys Ex or anything link that. I'm a composer with sooooooo little tech knowledge. Can you walk m through a how to on those things and I'll try.

I'll try anything!

Thanks, Guys.

This page of the documentation probably holds the solution to your main issue. Especially the Chase setting and the Send After Loading Project topics.

Roland and Yamaha support different MIDI preset numbering protocoles. Some (other) companies adopted Roland's protocol while others adopted Yamaha's. I don't remember which one is which, but one uses 0 to 127 while the other is from 1 to 128...

Forget the SysEx dump transfer for now...

Recording a Program Change MIDI event is usually straightforward. You press record to start Logic recording, then you press a patch preset button on your Kurzweil or Yamaha device. That should be it, providing that your MIDI device is set to transmit Program Changes events. Normally, by default, your MIDI devices should be set that way. If not, you could check in their respective MIDI settings. You could also verify same having been recorded in Logic's Event Editor. You could copy and edit in there the number of the Program Change to correspond to the desired presets.

Alternately, you could create one from within the Event Editor:

1. Move the playhead to the insert position.
    The current playhead position is used as the insert position if it is not moved.

2. Click the Create button.

3. Click an event type button.
    The event is added at the playhead position, and is automatically selected.

Important: Events can only be created in an existing region. If no region is selected, or exists, on the selected arrange track, an alert appears.