Moving from 2008 MBPro/Logic8 to 2016 MBPro/LogicX...No firewire 400..Wondering...

steveprobst

Possibly ready to upgrade from MBPro 2008 to Macbook Pro 2016 (or even 2015?), but it only has thunderbolt ports.

Jurassicly speaking, I'm still using Logic 8 (will upgrade also) with an external HD connected via Firewire 400 for my Logic projects.

Also using Apogee duet via firewire 400. :)

Should I expect to get a new HD to work with as well as a new audio interface all with thunderbolt ports

or will adapters (if there are such a thing) work?

Thanks!

Check with Apogee, I'm not sure if Duet will work with newest Mac OSX..  I might be wrong, but i seem to remember reading about that somewhere.  

The thunderbolt adapters work fine though.. I went from a 2008 - 2015 Mac Pro except I bought Thunderbolt RAID system (Thunderbay 4 - great)..

Apple no longer services 2008 MacPros.  I notice how they 'force' you to update your hardware.  so one might expect in the future Fire400 to be exited too.. 

It's a difficult choice figuring out when/how to change to new technology, getting the most 'bang for your buck'. 

Or you can find a 2012 MBP 15-inch with an i7 that has USB 3, Thunderbolt and Firewire 800 ports, for less than a grand and plenty of processing power.

On these you can still upgrade the HD and the Ram.

personally... i don't get that. why invest in 4-year old tech? at least, a 2015 macbook pro would have a faster processor, faster ram, an ssd... and a better screen, lighter weight, better battery life.  but i guess, coming from a 2008 mac, it's still a step forward.

personally... i don't get that. why invest in 4-year old tech? at least, a 2015 macbook pro would have a faster processor, faster ram, an ssd... and a better screen, lighter weight, better battery life.  but i guess, coming from a 2008 mac, it's still a step forward

Very simple, it's 800 bucks against 2400 or 2800. Plus all the adapters you have to buy for USB - C.

I see it as a better transition from a 2008 computer with old peripherals to a 2012 computer which is still very powerful.

We don't know yet how USB-C works with audio interfaces. I personally don't like to be the guinea pig for this stuff.

personally... i don't get that. why invest in 4-year old tech? at least, a 2015 macbook pro would have a faster processor, faster ram, an ssd... and a better screen, lighter weight, better battery life.  but i guess, coming from a 2008 mac, it's still a step forward

Very simple, it's 800 bucks against 2400 or 2800. Plus all the adapters you have to buy for USB - C.

I see it as a better transition from a 2008 computer with old peripherals to a 2012 computer which is still very powerful.

We don't know yet how USB-C works with audio interfaces. I personally don't like to be the guinea pig for this stuff.

right, but a 2015 macbook pro still uses usbA (3.0), and the prices on those machines should drop. meanwhile, my interfaces (including a groove, and eve-audio monitors), work fine with a usbA>C adapter (just mentioning)...

right, but a 2015 macbook pro still uses usbA (3.0), and the prices on those machines should drop. 

Yep but they didn't yet. Let's wait a couple of weeks to see what a refurbished 2015 MBP will worth. If the price is right, I'll get one of them. Man, really, Apple is going crazy with their prices, at least for their new MBP w/ or w/out TBar. But hey, Microsoft is going even more crazy with their new "pro" desktops  :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! Here's an update.

I decided on a late 2014 Mint condition iMac I found on ebay. The specs are in my signature below.

Downloaded Logic X yesterday and recorded my first acoustic guitar tracks. All worked great with my Firewire 400 to Thunderbolt "adaptations"! Thanks again for everyone's input.

If I do anymore travel, I'll maybe look for a use macbook pro 13 down the road.