Latency Differences between Mac and Thunderbolt Display

RobG-ADV

I noticed today that if I plug my MIDI controller keyboard (Akai LPK25) into my 13" MacBook Pro (2013 i5 model, 16 gig RAM, USB 3.0), the Resulting Latency in Prefs > Audio is around 200 ms.  But if it's plugged into one of the USB ports on my 27" Thunderbolt display, it's only 13.7 ms.  The lag is too great to use it with it plugged into the laptop itself.

Is there a setting or something else I can do to correct this?  Would a 15" i7 MacBook Pro do it better?  I was going to upgrade in another month or so anyway, but if not, then I'll probably get an iMac instead, since not being able to do this stuff without the big display eliminates any portability advantage.

Thanks.

Rob

I noticed today that if I plug my MIDI controller keyboard (Akai LPK25) into my 13" MacBook Pro (2013 i5 model, 16 gig RAM, USB 3.0), the Resulting Latency in Prefs > Audio is around 200 ms. 

200 ms is way too extreme (I have never seen more than about 50ms). What's you I/O buffer size? I would contact AKAI and ask for help troubleshooting that driver. Nobody can work with 200ms of latency. 

Followup...

I brought the little LPK25 to work with me.  While sitting here at lunch, listening to Pandora, I decided to try again.  I paused Pandora, plugged in the LPK and fired up Logic.  Checked the Prefs.  Once again, it was showing 198ms.

Then I turned off my bluetooth headset (a Motorola S305).  The instant it disconnected, Logic noticed and the latency switched to 13ms.  I turned it back on.  And it went back to 198ms.

So I guess using these headphones with Logic won't be an option if I'm using a MIDI device.