Piano Roll Right click is opening dropdown menu

Jazz

I have been using Logic Pro x for a while now but I recently updated to Mac OSX Sierra. Now whenever I go into the piano roll to highlight and quantise, it won't allow me to highlight because it keeps opening a dropdown menu that would traditionally be opened with a left click. Can anyone suggest anything. By the way I have the yellow link option enabled. 

sorry I mean that the dropdown would traditionally be opened with the right click. And no I am not left handed and is there any way I could show you guys a video of what Im talking about as its hard to explain. An email address perhaps?

Sounds like you have your buttons mixed up.

Right click opens the menu (preference setting). Left click to use your main tool.

sorry I mean that the dropdown would traditionally be opened with the right click. And no I am not left handed and is there any way I could show you guys a video of what Im talking about as its hard to explain. An email address perhaps?

Hi Jazz.

You can use Dropbox or Youtube or another service and share the link right here. 

You can also zip a small movie file and attach it as long as you keep it below 20MBs.

One thing I would test first is to reset the preference file:

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. Locate ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic10.plist and drag it to the desktop.
  3. Relaunch Logic Pro X.

Hope that helps.

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem.  When I left-click on empty space in the piano roll (as in not clicking on a note) it acts as a right click and pulls up a drop down menu.  Frustrating as usually that's how I'd deselect all of the notes to then select one note and move it.  I also just upgraded to Sierra a couple days ago and didn't have this issue before.  I'm using Logic X on a mid-2014 MBP version 10.12.1.  Any insight would be helpful.

You should not lick your piano roll (right or left) in the first place. You'll get LED poisoning.

:lol: Classic Eriksimon humor, love it!

@kashaka ...did you try Eric Cardenas' suggestion with Logic's preference file?

J.

Hey Jordi --yeah I just did, I got a message asking if I wanted to keep my previous key commands or use the new commands.  At first I selected "keep previous" but was still having the same issue in the piano roll so I put the preference file back in the library and brought it back to the desktop and selected "use new commands".  Still having the same issue :( 

Any other ideas on how to fix this annoying problem (other than downgrading from Sierra)?  Makes logic unusable for me as I deal with a lot of midi dragging.

Same issue, I can't click and drag in the Piano Roll anymore since the it opens the drop down menu instead. This only started happening after updating to Sierra.

Did anyone find a solution to this? Reseting/Removing the preferences file is not working.

I also can no longer save or bounce a project, as Logic will crash every time I try. I can only save the project file if I open a crashed file from an Auto-Save. 

WTF Apple?

• 4 weeks later...

Add another victim to the list. This bug is DRIVING ME NUTS.

My issue is exactly the same as everyone else's, and it happens after I updated to the newest OS (Sierra 10.12.1). To be more specific, it's when you click and drag, trying to select multiple notes, it opens the drop-down menu and stops you from selecting. It's EXTREMELY frustrating. The weirdest part is, this ONLY happens in Piano Roll Editor, NOT anywhere else in Logic.

I've read several threads regarding the same issue. So far, only Eriksimon's suggestion to disable right click in Logic is effective. I've tried to delete my .plist file, disabled bluetooth and ALL other devices attached to my Mac. Nothing. Some people have resolved this by disabling some 3rd party devices or their bluetooth mouse/trackpad etc. I have no luck with it. Hopefully Apple addresses this soon enough.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Totally same problem.

For describing it clearly, the problem for me, I think for all, is when drags and clicks in Piano Roll, Piano Ro!!, Piano Roll, (╯°Д°)╯, it would activate the function of right click button.

PARDON ME!!!???

So, ╮(╯_╰)╭, I have a super stupid solution for any victims. 

Just when you wanna do something in Piano Roll, use SHIFT Key first.

Yep, it was like Shift + Left Click to select one or more notes in Piano Roll. 

Enjoy the new way to enhance APM with Shift Key.

Or, just lift the table (ง •̀_•́)ง┻━┻

GLHF.

• 2 years later...

So, did anyone ever find a solution to this? I just installed High Sierra and am having the exact same issues. Was there a Logic update that fixed it? I'm using a copy of Logic that came with my laptop, when I bought it used. So I don't have the license and can't update to a newer version.

I'm considering just paying the $200 for a license and updating, but not if this issue is still persisting in newer versions. Any help?

• 4 weeks later...