Gain Plug-in Automation lags with iZoTope 7

mgmartino

So I am mastering a track. and I wanted to do some slight volume automation where i lower it really quick then bring it back up.  I want to do this before it hits the limiter and compressor. Not after.  SO I put a gain plugin on the strip to do the automation but it always lags a does it about an 1/8th note after the automation....If I by pass the Isotope plug-ins it happens perfectly in time or if I use the volume to do the automations it works as well but that volume fader comes after the compression and limiting so that is not what I want...ANyone run into this problem???

163529588_ScreenShot2016-11-04at10_07_27PM.thumb.png.01ebc63042e89d6c586d0a857917c55f.png

Nope, here it works fine. What is your "Sample Accurate Automation" setting in the Preferences > Audio > General pane? (should be set to "Volume, Pan, Sends, Plug-in Parameters").

Also what happens if you change the signal flow as follows?

* Audio Track w/ Gain; route output to a bus, put your two iZotope instances on the corresponding Aux; route output to Main outs (with your Insight instance)

Do you still have the same issue when automating Gain on the track?

Last (but not least): Each iZotope plug-in has an Input gain parameter. If you want to reduce gain before the signal reaches that plug-in, instead of inserting a Gain  before it and automate it, you'll get the exact same result if you automate the input parameter of that iZ plug-in. If you do so, still the same issue?

---My sample accurate automation is set to "Volume, Pan, Sends, Plug-in Parameters"

---That method seems to work for the gain but I was already running it to Bus 1 (What I call my MIX BUS) where I had my Izotop meter so i could use that as a reference point that I route all my individual song tracks to, as I master this album....And If I route this track to  stereo Bus 2 and then try to route that back to my Bus 1 (MIX BUS) it won't work at reading the signal in Bus 1

---I thought of that but isotope only lets you lower it -20db and I all most want to mute it for that quick part so I need to lower at least -35db or more

---That method seems to work for the gain but I was already running it to Bus 1 (What I call my MIX BUS) where I had my Izotop meter so i could use that as a reference point that I route all my individual song tracks to, as I master this album....And If I route this track to  stereo Bus 2 and then try to route that back to my Bus 1 (MIX BUS) it won't work at reading the signal in Bus 1

I'm not sure I get your point here. If you have your meter on Bus 1 (and keep it there), and have Troublesome track w/ Gain -> Bus 2 w/ iZ limiter -> Bus 1, then the meter on Bus 1 will display the same as if you have Troublesome track w/ Gain then iZ Limiter -> Bus 1.

Anyway, if you keep having trouble with the Gain p-i automation, there's yet another alternate way to route your signal which is actually the one that I use when mastering, especially when it's a whole album and I want to compare songs one with another or compare alternate mastering ideas for the same song:

* Set song track to "no output"

* Open a send (@ 0dB in standard use) to a bus

* Insert all iZ processing (except metering if you want) on the Aux fed by this bus

* (optional) create a track for that aux, select that aux track + your original song track in the mixer and include them in a summing track stack

* Have your metering either on the track stack summing aux (if option above was used) or on your mix bus (or main outs).

The benefit are that:

* You can gain stage your signal before it reaches iZ processing by adjusting the send (or automating it if you want); this could solve your current issue if automating the send does not result in the same lag as automating the Gain p-i, and you can have any gain reduction with a send;

* You can have up to 8 alternate mastering (with individual full tweaking of each) for each song, all different from one song to another in the album, by creating up to 8 sends from the original mixdown track of that song, and setting up your mastering chain differently on each of the resulting auxes; toggle (A/B comp) them by opt-clicking the solo button of each of these 8 aux channels (which can be done from the main window if you have used the optional step above). Opt-cliking the solo button of an aux soloes that Aux and mutes everything else in the project (except the track feeding that aux and anything routed downstream that soloed aux, meaning your signal will reach the outs through that aux, i;e. through that mastering alternative).

* If you have used the optional step above, helps keeping your album tidy in the main window: you can collapse/expand any song (via its summing stack) to display the various auxes with alternate mastering processing for that song, all from within the main window; additionally, you can A/B two songs with any of their mastering alternative, by expanding their two stacks and opt-clicking solo buttons of either of the master auxes of either of the two songs. Cool to quickly ensure consistency of overall sound from one song to another, even if the two songs do not use the same mastering chain due to their own specificities, or to quickly test whether a given mastering alternative of a song better fits with another, already mastered song, than another alternative.

What I wrote above goes beyond your current issue, but try the send automation solution that I propose if nothing else works.

One last thought: have you tried fully disabling (or even possibly removing) all iZ metering stuff (you seem to be using Insight), in case that would be the culprit by introducing some misbehaved latency that is not taken into account (compensated for) in the automation (or vice-versa). Just in case, I would also try this.