"The download of essential sounds and settings failed."

HaydenDavenport

Hey all,

I just bought a new mac and I'm trying to reinstall Logic Pro X, but I keep getting this error: 

"The download of essential sounds and settings failed. Please check your connection and try again, or continue without download. Some features will not be fully available without those Sounds. You can re-sume the download later via Logic Pro X > Sound Library > Download Essential Sounds."

If I tell it to try again it does the same thing over and over. I considered just ignoring the message, but it attempts to install them every time the application launches. If I keep trying it just keeps downloading stuff saying things like: "1.01GB of 765MB downloaded".

Neither of these options seem to remedy the problem:

• Logic Pro X > Sound Library > Download Essential Sounds
  • Logic Pro X > Sound Library > Reinstall Sound Library

Anyone have any clue how to fix this? Everything else seems to be installing properly, strangely enough.

What about re-downloading the Logic app?

Trash it and then download it again from the App Store.

Thanks Triplets. I've tried that but trashing it doesn't seem to actually get rid of any of the folders that are causing the problem. Once I trash it and reinstall it everything seems to be still installed and the issue persists.

I suspect that manually getting rid of the folders might work, but I'm not sure where they are.

Ok... This is very strange. I just completely reinstalled the operating system. So it's a completely fresh copy of OS X El Capitan. I didn't even upgrade it or anything. The first thing I did was go into the app store and download GarageBand. It installed fine so I ran it, and it starts downloading essential sounds. And of course after downloading for less than a minute it gives me the same error "The download of Essential Sounds and Settings failed."

What's left at this point? It seems like it's either a hardware issue or maybe something is wrong on Apple's end?

• 10 months later...

Hey Hayden,

Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing right now. Logic Pro blames my internet connectivity for not being able to download the available sound packages. Complete BS. It's weird that I was able to download the "Essentials" but not the extra content available through the Sound Library Manager.

Please let me know! I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Manny

• 4 years later...
  • David Nahmani changed the title to "The download of essential sounds and settings failed."
5 hours ago, haywardsound said:

Has there been any solution to this? I am having the exact same problem with getting Essential Sounds installed on OS Monterey. 

Normally this issue is due to an internet connection problem. Is your internet connection fast and reliable or have you been having issues with it? 

Hi! Happens to me as well on 2 different machines with Mac OS Monterey, a clean (formatted drive) reinstall, and Logic Pro 10.7.3, both on the same network. However an iMac 2012 running Catalina and an older version of logic works just fine… (again, same network..)

huh?

any solutions?

1 hour ago, slamthecrank said:

Having the same issue today. Tried reinstalling Logic app, trashing prefs, etc. Continuously failing. Wonder if there is something wonky going on with the Apple servers?

Now that you mention it: I have had issues in the past few weeks where Software Update would endlessly cycle and not find any updates (despite a Big Sur update — and the Monterey update definitely being available). 

Could it be that they're fiddling heavily with their server structure in prep for the rumoured server-based Time Machine backup service they might introduce at WWDC on Monday? Hmmm. 

On 6/3/2022 at 6:16 PM, Osher22 said:

Hi! Happens to me as well on 2 different machines with Mac OS Monterey, a clean (formatted drive) reinstall, and Logic Pro 10.7.3, both on the same network. However an iMac 2012 running Catalina and an older version of logic works just fine… (again, same network..)

huh?

any solutions?

Updating, I got to Logic's temp downloads folder and found all .pkg files of the content safe and sound- they work 100% when installing manually.
So if it downloads fine, the issue must be with logic trying to install them itself- at that point, it just fails and complains about the internet connection (even though the files were dowloaded fine...?)
Not sure what's going on.. something is blocking it from installing? Why? How?
I'm just confused at this point... 
(BTW when it finishes downloading it does request for my computer's password, so it obviously is trying to start installing them) 

Edited by Osher22

Possibly some kind of permissions issue? Not enough space to unpack? In any case, something is causing the process to fail, and Logic just notifies you in general that your download couldn't be completed (ie couldn't be downloaded, unpacked, and installed).

I wonder if you get a console log entry when Logic encounters the error with any more details?

Edited by des99

Thanks for the reply! maybe it has something to do with Monterey?

I'm on 12.4, not sure if permissions changed or anything...

I mean, at least I can work but now every time I open a new project I get a message about some missing content which is just annoying lol.

how do i get a log file out?

• 1 month later...

Hello!
 have same issue  downloading the Sound Library in Logic pro 10.7.4 and i'm running MacOS Monterey  and when just loading the files (Install Sound Library) and after a while i'm getting a message
"Logic pro was not able to complete the download. Check your internet connection and try downloading again" 

I have checked internet connection and there is no issue with it. I'm very confused about this. Can anyone help PLEASE!!!😩

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Eankk said:

I am having same issue. Had same issue on 12.4 and now I am on 12.5 running Logic 10.7.4. Installed manually as well not fixing issue 

Edit: someone commented on my post on FB community. Sadly It did not work for me. 

85D83307-E914-4632-B735-CF7AB2E164E1.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

SO GUYS....

I had been dealing with the same problem as y'all. I've been looking all over the internet trying to find a solution to our problem. At the end believe me or not I didn't find anything that would fix my problem on the internet.

But this fixed it for me....

1. Go to Apple Store

2. Check for updates

If update for Garage Band is available for you -> Celebrateee!!!

Because updating the Garage Band will almost 100% fix your problems :)

What a rabbit hole I tell you guys. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I teach at a school with 15 installs of LPX… had same issue until we upgraded to the latest version.   All on Monterey.  If it helps, before that, even trying to get one new library preset to load failed.  

So far so good.  I do wonder if it’s on Apples’ end, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, i upgraded from Catalina (Logic 10.4.6) to Monterey. 10.4.6 won't open at all. I deleted the entire app, upgraded to 10.7.4, and the next problem appears: cannot download any of the additional sounds. Keeps looping etc.
I have 60 GB free internal SSD. Tried downloading the basic sounds (which is like 1.69 GB) to the internal disc, and then told Logic to transfer the sound bank to an external SSD (775 GB free).
This worked (however downloading sounds did not). I can't get it to work. What is this madness?

Anyone got a clue? 

Thommie

29 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

There are some pointes in this related thread, see if any of it is helping? 

I updated garageband and opened it. It wanted to update some files, so I said yes. That went fine. Now back to logic. First same issues, now it looks like it's downloading some content without interruptions. Keep u posted.
Nasty bug this one. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thommie said:

I updated garageband and opened it. It wanted to update some files, so I said yes. That went fine. Now back to logic. First same issues, now it looks like it's downloading some content without interruptions. Keep u posted.

Interesting. Looks like at least it's doing something. Please do let us posted, it would be great if we could get to the bottom of this. 

43 minutes ago, Thommie said:

Nasty bug this one. 

Yes, annoyingly frustrating. 

Little update from my side:
Installed Logic (10.7.4). It starts downloading essential sounds to be able to open at all. 
After this is done, I downloaded around 40 GB of additional sounds. Then I relocated the sound bank to my external SSD. I open an existing project. It tells me sounds are missing and starts to download + install them. I notice it downloads them not on the exteral drive, but to the internal drive. Seems like Logic doesn't see the link to the sound bank on the external SSD. 
Did some more digging, and it seems my exteral drive should be formatted as APFS (it's now Mac OS Journaled, which was never a problem). So i'd need to back up everything on this drive, format it and try it all again 🥱