Can I save Snap Regions To Absolute Value?

itssofly

No, unfortunately you'll have to make a template for that. I have lobbied Apple to make "Snap to Absolute Value" the default setting for the past 10 years or so, but for some obscure reason it seems they still feel a default Snap behavior should be "relative value".  :shock: Add your voice to mine? --> http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html
  • Like 1

Just want to throw my tuppence-worth in. 'Snap to relative value' as the default makes more sense to me. Far less error-prone. 

I have many problems with Snap To Relative Value. Many times it doesn't want to be 100% on the grid with Relative Value with dragging. So what do you mean? I think that it gives many problems.

I have many problems with Snap To Relative Value. Many times it doesn't want to be 100% on the grid with Relative Value with dragging. 

Snap to Relative value is not supposed to be on the grid, it's supposed to keep the same offset as what you're dragging. For example if your region is on 1 3 2 76 and your Snap value is the bar, you can drag that region to N 3 2 76 (where N is the bar number, for example 5 3 2 76). 

IMO that's not what people are expecting when trying to "Snap" something. Especially when the key command is labeled "Snap to Grid" for a function that does NOT snap to grid when using the default "relative" setting. 

• Like 1

I have many problems with Snap To Relative Value. Many times it doesn't want to be 100% on the grid with Relative Value with dragging. So what do you mean? I think that it gives many problems.

You need to use relative value to keep the notes in an irregular sized region in the correct position in the bar.  

IMO that's not what people are expecting when trying to "Snap" something. Especially when the key command is labeled "Snap to Grid" for a function that does NOT snap to grid when using the default "relative" setting. 

Which is why I believe we should be able to choose a default that suits. And is a principle that should be applied to many, many features in LPX.

Which is why I believe we should be able to choose a default that suits. And is a principle that should be applied to many, many features in Logic Pro X.

+10

More Freedom. I think all Logic users want that.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have many problems with Snap To Relative Value. Many times it doesn't want to be 100% on the grid with Relative Value with dragging. 

Snap to Relative value is not supposed to be on the grid, it's supposed to keep the same offset as what you're dragging. For example if your region is on 1 3 2 76 and your Snap value is the bar, you can drag that region to N 3 2 76 (where N is the bar number, for example 5 3 2 76). 

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but as a new logic user, this default behavior was very infuriating. I just figured out how to turn on the absolute value thing about two seconds ago, and it's much better! I agree with David here, snapping is supposed to mean it snaps to the grid points. Not to any other values. That's what the grid is there for in the first place, to keep everything lined up.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/10/2017 at 1:10 AM, David Nahmani said:

No, unfortunately you'll have to make a template for that. I have lobbied Apple to make "Snap to Absolute Value" the default setting for the past 10 years or so, but for some obscure reason it seems they still feel a default Snap behavior should be "relative value".  :shock: Add your voice to mine? --> http://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Hello David.I am using 10.5.1 and I use templates all the time. Snap regions to absolute value and show note labels in the piano roll will not save with my templates. Help

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Amazingly Andrew said:

For me the default behavior is baffling and infuriating, but I can understand that some people like it, which means there is an obvious solution: Allow me to set my own default. Not just in a template, just have a check box in the settings! Is that so hard, Apple??

I would love it if you could change those values for any new empty file as well. For example I also find myself constantly having to turn off the count-in before I start recording. 

Until then I'm afraid the only way is to create your own template. 😞