I need a plan of action

royaldeadman

Starting a new job in days and want to prepare myself for not that much time with music. I want to try and setup up templates or a template that works all around for what I need it to do. I started a couple times creating ones in logic and then come to find out it just doesn't feel right. What is the best way to setup a template and what happens after you set one up? I think you go into save a template and obviously save it and late on you can continue tweaking it and keep saving it as a template, but I get confused when you start making a beat or whatever and then go to save that beat. Does the template get written over or when you go to close the session and re-open a new template later, will the template be empty? When creating a beat, its probably best to use multiple screen sets before any major editing and mixing, so that you can start over or try new things without saving multiple sessions right? For example: You would have session A and then tweak it and then save the tweaked one as session B and so on. when you use screen sets, you can save yourself by just staying in one saved project. 

Hopefully I'm making myself clear. Also, if anybody uses BFD 2 or 3, can you please explain to me how you downloaded the library? I'm struggling on downloading the 3rd part of BFD 2 and it keeps getting stuck in limbo on the download and won't ever completely download. 

Yeah, templates are an ever evolving thing. Whenever I make a new template, I save it with the date on it so I can keep track. And like angelonyc I delete earlier ones that I don't see myself using anymore. I also create backups for my templates just in case.

It's a good idea to have two versions of your template, a super basic one and a super complex one. This is the only way templates have worked out for me.

When I think my templates need an update, then I delete the old ones. They get obsolete anyway. 

It's overkill IMHO to keep all possible templates, and in each template you keep variations of tracks and what not. Keep templates tight and add just the tracks that you really use in all projects. And on the tracks only the plugins you use all the time.

For track templates just use patches and save your most favorite tracks (and their routings) as patches. 

Seconding stardustmedia on his last comment.

My own usual Template is a 4-track one:

* One hidden track for compatibility & communication purposes with some external gear;

* One Instrument track with Electric Piano loaded on it, as a basic tool to play on my keyboard

* One audio track with a standard guitar sound

* One audio track with standard vocal effects

All other stuff, including drums, I will add on demand, or import from other projects (such as drums routings as the need may be), and it will never end up the same from one project to the next.

Loading that Template I can play anything on a keyboard or guitar, or sing any melody. That's all I need as a starting point.

But I recognize this extremely lean & mean approach may not be appropriate for other people...