Tempo change

Frodster1988

Hello,

I just started using MainStage 3 and I'm having an issue.  I have a song in Logic Pro X that has a few tempo changes, which is easily automated in Logic.  However I can't think of any ways to accomplish this in MainStage.

I tried to separate the song into multiple patches, which would allow me to change tempo but the patches won't change automatically.  I can manually change the patch, but it won't  be in time with the song.

Does anyone have any solutions?  Thank you!

for a metronome click you'll have to record one in logic, and put it in a playback object. Any other backing tracks need to be a set level so that you can manually switch from patch to patch at the appropriate times where tempo changes occur without disturbing playback of tracks (or if you're actually playing everything just the click changes).

What you're running into is that MS really isn't a sequencer (or intended to automate things based on a sequence timeline). There have been additions into MS that here and there compensate, but tempo changes, and then the more musical variants which retard and accelerando simply aren't doable because there's no sequencer running. For the purists, there *is* a clock running, MainStage even knows location in terms of bars|beats, but there's nothing usable for us there.

You've not said exactly what you have playing, what you're playing yourself, so I'm guessing a bit, but to-date the only solution I've seen for tempo changes is to record material that has tempo changes, including the metronome click and put those in playback objects... 

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for your reply michaelhuisman!

I was trying to keep my last post from being too long winded.  I put together a song that speeds up in tempo at the chorus, before slowing down again for the verses and I'm running all my guitar effects and amp sims through logic/mainstage.  I was hoping to use the playback plugin in Mainstage and navigate around the backing track via the "markers" and have the tempo automatically change to match the backing track so my guitar effects (mostly delays) would be in sync whether I'm playing over a chorus or verse.  This was only for a jam session with a drummer that I know.

In the end, I used Logic and it worked perfectly.  I just mapped the "move to next/previous marker and cycle" assignments to my midi controller and am able to skip around my song markers and have the guitar keep in time.