regions merging with regions automatically - how to turn off?

mikeyroro

Hi, I find that when I record a new midi region, if there is a region that follows it later in the timeline, the new region will be merged to that next region, like an auto-merge function.   It's driving me nuts.   Can anyone tell me how to turn this off?  I looked through the preferences, but didn't find anything about it ... thanks for any help!   Hope question makes sense, it's kind of hard to describe. 

Michael

Hello, thank you for the reply, if I understood correctly, I went to Record/Overlapping MIDI recordings/Replace and set it to Overlap/Merge Selected Regions but the same thing happens, and when I check the Record setting it has reverted to Replace.  I tried quitting Logic, reboot, same issue ... any other thoughts or guidance?  thanks!   m.

I think I am not explaining myself.  Imagine you have an 8 bar MIDI region starting at bar 20.  Now you record starting at bar 4 for a few beats.  When you stop recording, then new region automatically merges with the region at bar 20...  does that make sense?  it's reaching forward and merging to the next region.   And I can't stop it!   Thanks for any help and for all advice!!!  Sorry if I'm being stupid.   :)

I seem to have sorted it out, though I don't know what happened - I copied and pasted all the regions into a new track (had to dial in all the instruments again, etc, bit of a pain), and the file is behaving normally.   No "telescoping forward" to grab onto the next region.   So .. a mystery, but basically sorted.   Thanks for all help, though!

M.

Choose Record > Overlapping MIDI Regions > Overlap or the setting you find is most helpful.
if I understood correctly, I went to Record/Overlapping MIDI recordings/Replace and set it to Overlap/Merge Selected Regions 

You did not understand Eric correctly. He suggested you choose Record > Overlapping MIDI Recordings > Overlap, from the main "Record" menu at the very top of your screen. 

Overlap.png.cbb419da977f0dfdab6125fcb84e3c5f.png

I went to Record/Overlapping MIDI recordings/Replace and set it to Overlap/Merge Selected Regions but the same thing happens, and when I check the Record setting it has reverted to Replace.  I tried quitting Logic, reboot, same issue ... any other thoughts or guidance?  thanks!   m.

I'm pretty sure I did it right.  I tried both the Overlap/Merge Selected Regions and the straight up Overlap option.   Both ways, the issue remained, and when I looked at the Record tab after recording, I found that it had reverted to Replace...    Issue went away when I opened a new file and imported my MIDI in.     thanks for help, though, and even giving this a thought!

M.

I have tried going into Overlap, or Overlap/Replace, but it still happens, and when I click on the Record tab I find myself back in Replace.  (Even though it isn't acting like Replace.  I believe I am stuck in Merge ...)

Thanks for any help!   I thought it was a corrupt file, so I opened a new session, seemed like it cleared up, then started again... which is why I am back.  thanks! 

I don't see "Overlap" in "Cycle".   It's only in "No Cycle".  

But it doesn't help me, because Logic won't let me select it.  As long as I have the "erase head" Replace button pressed, I can't go to Overlap.  I don't want to work in Overlap, I want to work in Replace.   But I don't want to merge with following regions.   Does that make sense?  

19847853_ScreenShot2017-03-24at1_35_10AM.png.1d3fecc1dd8f1827344cc4667b76f53a.png

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey guys! I don't know if this is what you guys mean, but I was having a similar issue, where when I trimmed parts of a region and then delete that new region I trimmed, the remaining regions would automatically merge. It was driving me nuts! The Solution after a lot of research was I had "Shuffle L" selected on my drag settings. On the main bar the little "Settings Gear Icon" you'll have "Snap" or "Drag" settings. Go into "Drag" and switch from "Shuffle L" or "Shuffle R" to anything else you want and you're good.

Hope this helps!

God bless!

• 2 years later...
I tore my hair out trying to fix this problem but I think I may have solved it. Look at any instruments that proceed the cycle your working on. In my case there was a "sustain" event hangover that was causing the midi region to join the midi regions together. A simple "sustain off" on this particular instrument fixed this annoying issue.

• 1 month later...
I tore my hair out trying to fix this problem but I think I may have solved it. Look at any instruments that proceed the cycle your working on. In my case there was a "sustain" event hangover that was causing the midi region to join the midi regions together. A simple "sustain off" on this particular instrument fixed this annoying issue.

I'm having the exact same problem and I think it might also be caused by my sustain pedal. How do I completely turn off this sustain pedal data? I have a session of entirely midi pianos (to record ideas quickly) and everything recorded after measure 17 forms a region with the beginning at m. 17. This happens with every single one of the tracks I have. 1763375148_ScreenShot2021-12-21at16_16_17.png.60b1b1c04792a310d8c66fc020c08bce.png

I'm having the exact same problem and I think it might also be caused by my sustain pedal. How do I completely turn off this sustain pedal data? I have a session of entirely midi pianos (to record ideas quickly) and everything recorded after measure 17 forms a region with the beginning at m. 17. This happens with every single one of the tracks I have.

Did you look for a sustain event as was suggested by the user you quoted? If you can't find it, can you attach the project here so one of us can have a look? How to attach files to your post