Step Editor... can't figure it out!

3ple

Hey guys,

It's not the first time I try to understand the Step Editor (when it was the Hyper Editor in Logic 9 I also gave it a try), but I can't seem to understand how it works...

Does anyone here agree with me that it should be easier to just create new lanes, assign stuff to it, etc? I wish I could just create a new lane and assign it to an automation parameter so I could add automation in "blocks" instead of the nodes...

Here's what I'm facing right now, I guess it's a bug, but please feel free to show me if this is normal and what I can do to work with the Step Editor without feeling it's some kind of "geek panel" where only those who are into the "deep darkness" of MIDI can work with it (that's what I feel right now, almost the same way the Environment used to be a scary place to go for most people):

3ple-step-editor-nightmare.gif.2ada748cd495e5961bbd60a6f5a9e8f2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Both parameters are fader 10 messages.

• MIDI Channel 1 is the Channel Strip itself. That's Pan.
  • MIDI Channel 3 is the first Audio FX slot on a software instrument. That's the Dry parameter.

Use the MIDI Channel checkbox in the inspector to restrict the lane to MIDI Channel 3 so that you don't have to mess with pan.

Both parameters are fader 10 messages.

• MIDI Channel 1 is the Channel Strip itself. That's Pan.
  • MIDI Channel 3 is the first Audio FX slot on a software instrument. That's the Dry parameter.

Use the MIDI Channel checkbox in the inspector to restrict the lane to MIDI Channel 3 so that you don't have to mess with pan.

I'm a bit confused about your reply... :/

My issue here (the first GIF) is that the same lane is controlling two different things. The big blocks are changing the automation on the track, but the smaller blocks are not doing anything and they are not even visible as automation.

On the second GIF the problem is that once I delete the automation and create blocks for it, it stops working...

I really don't understand it. It would be so much easier to make it like: right click, create new lane, dropdown menu to whatever we want to automate, draw automation. Period...

I was addressing your first issue.

The MIDI channel checkbox restricts the lane to that specific channel.

Step.gif

As much as I try to understand this, I can't... I see your gifs and they seem to be "logical", when I try to recreate that, it doesn't work...

All I want is this: pick a parameter in ANY synth that's loaded into my channel strip and create "bar automation". How can I achieve that? What steps do I need to take? Let's say I want to use Alchemy and control the CutOff 1. Can you please describe the step-by-step?

I'm so frustrated right now, because usually I'm super fast at understanding something, but this Step Editor seems to be the most nonsense thing in Logic...  :(

Step.gif

Here's a simple project with automation for the CutOff... how do I convert this into "bars"?

Step Editor.zip

Also, is there any part of the manual where I can read about it, a youtube channel or video, something where I can finally understand the concept behind this?

Step.gif

So I guess that half of the headache is gone... :P now I'm still trying to figure out why Logic is not behaving the way it shows on your GIF:

Step.gif

Ok I found out why it wasn't showing the information for the selected automation. Not sure if this is in anyway connected, but View > Link > Content made it show. Is there a reason for that menu to be called "Link"? Doesn't make sense to me and I don't even know why I tried that, because "Link" would never suggest me that it was to show me information... :/

But maybe you can explain the logic between Link Off, Link Same Level and Link Content, please?

EDIT: I just realized this is the same as the Yellow, Purple and Grey options on other windows. Didn't think of that and still don't understand the relation between Off not showing any content when I have the region selected and Content showing it. But well, I don't have to understand this one, I guess lol

Ok so now I can see the information so I can pick the the correct channel and number. Check!

Now when it comes to Alchemy, however, where the Filter 1 CutOff is Fader, Channel 2, Number 262, how do you do that since the inspector only goes to 127?

EDIT: Apparently, Alchemy uses those high numbers, but it still uses the numbers between 0 and 127. It's just hard to figure out the right number, since 262 is the same as 6, 263 is 7, 264 is 8, etc. There's not even a relationship between them so I guess it's just a matter of picking the channel and go with the flow :P I also tried adding more than 14 plugins as inserts to see how Logic handles the Channel number once it goes above 16. it just starts over, but then using different numbers on the Number parameter. not that I think I will ever use more than 14 plugins, but... lol but it's funny, because once you go over 14 (15 and above) it stops showing on the automation submenu... it shows as "unused"

I'm glad you've figured this out (so I don't have to).  Thanks for your diligence. As for the high number relationship; 262=6, 263=7 etc., that's just a matter of subtracting 256.

So far I haven't tried with other parameters to see the relationship between the number on the event list and the number on the step editor, but let's hope it's the 256 you said ;) I wonder how did they get the 256 anyway... wouldn't it be easier to just use the small numbers...? I just hope they come up with a better solution in the future, because this can be a great way to make other types of edits to automation and come up with interesting sounds.