Logic Users - do not install GarageBand '08!

Subtonic

AU is mac only, and many cross-platform developers choose to offer AU. Now, one could, and most likely will, make the argument that AU is forced on developers because Logic and GB, and any other Apple Pro App, only use AU, agreed. If given the option to use CAF vs. an existing format why take the time to release a new format? The advantages to CAF files is many. This would allow us to easilly work with and store multi channel audio. Think beyond multi-channel projects to multi-channel audio / apple loops. Hw cool is that? To be able to store your unique surround idea's in a very high quality, compact, and easy to track package, yes please...as long as we retain aif/wav support it should not be a problem.

Just curious...

Did any "warning" info accompany Garageband '08, or is this one of those things that people have to either discover the hard way, or, wouldn't have known about it unless they subscribed to online forums?

the latter.

x

This is the part that I feel is a let down and a bad way of introducing new features that may adversly affect Mac users. I feel especially bad for the original poster for having to 'find out the hard way'. I'm all for new formats that will allow us to use multichannel audio files considering the amount of musicians delving into surround sound technology.

But, Apple has been consistently making new changes at a fast rate, which makes it difficult to keep up on the information that we, as musicians, need to know about to maintain a problem-free work environment. This sort of information, which is rarely detailed until after people report problems that have been caused by OS changes, the iLife/GarageBand 08 upgrade, etc., should be clearly documented on Apple's website, in the GarageBand 08 literature or 'read me first' file or installer, or anywhere that will be easily noticed before someone decides to install anything.

We had plug-in issues with the Mac OS 10.4.10 update, along with FireWire and USB audio/midi interface troubles, and now comes along this change for GarageBand and Logic users. It's unacceptable to encounter so many different problematic issues in such a compact period of time. I realize that these may be positive changes in the long run with Leopard and an updated version of Logic in our near future, but that's no consolation to any crippling effects we may experience using our current hardware and software.

Maybe part of the problem is Apple's unwillingness to announce any future plans or feature changes that would at least give us a 'heads up' on what we should expect or prepare for, before we find out that some of these changes could render plug-ins or interfaces useless due to a small change in a bit of code. It must be very frustrating for developers whose commercial products have to adhere to strict Apple guidelines to maintain compatabilty.

I don't mean to complain so much here, it's something I try to avoid... I don't like sending out negative energy to others as there's too much of it in the world as it is. And while I'm excited about future technology from Apple, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the current bugs squashed first, considering some of them have been around for a long time...then bring on the new stuff.

Yes, GarageBand is aimed at 'regular consumers' and is not considered a pro application, but a lot of working musicians, including myself, use or have used GarageBand as a quick 'sketch pad' to capture ideas quickly while they're fresh. Like most of you, I get excited when new versions of music making software are released. What's sad though is, more frequently I'm becoming concerned at what problems I'm going to encounter when I should be focused on all of the cool new features and better integration with my current setup. As an example, I'm reading about people not being able to open up their new GarageBand projects in the current version of Logic. Did they know that was going to be the case BEFORE they upgraded? They should have been made aware of that.

So, I'll stop my ranting here, but one more thing - Apple has been operating in such a way that, when they release an upgrade/update, it seems as if their attitude is to release something, if it causes problems (including major ones), that's not their problem. Consult the manufacturer of whatever hardware or software is adversly affected for compatability solutions. If anything, this is just another reason why making regular backups is SO IMPORTANT!!

Sorry for the negativity people, I just needed to vent a little frustration and again, I feel bad for anyone who has encountered problems with this upgrade. Thank you for letting the rest of us know before we make any changes to our own systems.

Peace - xpander

xpander,

I agree 1,000% but I have to suggest to all, don't update until you know what is going to happen. There will always be people that jump on the newest available whatever and tell us of their experiences. This thread is a great example. Subtonic is a competent Logic user and contributor here. He was 'brave' enough to test the GB '08 waters before there were that many reports about it. He's saved us what could amount to hours of work re-installing our old loops and the like.

Same goes for OS updates, ProApp updates, Logic updates, etc etc etc.

The most important thing to remember is always always ALWAYS have a recent back up of your hard drive (a compatible drive with your computer's drive bay for tower users is ideal), and for good measure, burn all of you project files to CD/DVD when complete. That's the one thing the military gets right: redundancy.

X

I've done a number of 'projects' in garageband, buthave yet to finish anything. My plan is to work in garageband for a while, and play a bit with Logic Express demo to see how I like it, and then see what happens when/if Logic 8 is ever released.

So my question is, do I care about these changes in the loop formats, does it affect me in the position I'm in, or would I be okay going ahead with Garageband 08. I'm keen to use the multiple takes and arrange functions, and to take advantage of the 24bit resolution.

thanks!

Now THAT sucks! I was planning on doing sketches in Gargeband and taking them into Logic Express when I needed more facilities. Apple is starting to piss me off.

Your problem is more than just a new file format for loops - it's a new format for .band files. I'm not sure what the differences are, other than that GB '08 stores a screenshot to be ready for Leopard's Cover Flow and Quick Look.

I'm sure that since now GB '08 is out it won't be much longer until Apple releases a new version of Logic (or whatever it will be) that will be compatible. If you sit tight this problem will disappear. You and other GB users won't be left out to dry.

Apple does listen to its users and understand what they need/want. I'm sure they read this forum. GB has exploded on the Mac and there's no doubt that Apple won't make it easy for GB users move up to its Pro level software.

Thinking about this for a bit after I wrote it, I'm sure your right. Logic 8 (or whatever it will be) must be coming out very soon.

Right, Apple? Right?????

Now THAT sucks! I was planning on doing sketches in Gargeband and taking them into Logic Express when I needed more facilities. Apple is starting to piss me off.

Your problem is more than just a new file format for loops - it's a new format for .band files. I'm not sure what the differences are, other than that GB '08 stores a screenshot to be ready for Leopard's Cover Flow and Quick Look.

I'm sure that since now GB '08 is out it won't be much longer until Apple releases a new version of Logic (or whatever it will be) that will be compatible. If you sit tight this problem will disappear. You and other GB users won't be left out to dry.

Apple does listen to its users and understand what they need/want. I'm sure they read this forum. GB has exploded on the Mac and there's no doubt that Apple won't make it easy for GB users move up to its Pro level software.

FYI:

Before I read the forum I installed Garageband 08. For some reason it messed with my Core Audio. On midi: It would skip playing the first 4 notes at the beginning of the track and then the sound would suddenly kick in on the 5th midi note. I uninstalled Garageband 08 and did a fresh install for Logic 7.2. My studio is up and running again. If the next logic comes out this way we may all be in trouble. Hopefully by then they fix all the bugs of Garage Band 08.

Steve

I don't know if '08 and 3.0 and co-exsist-but try renaming the Garageband 3 application from Garageband to Garageband 3 (in your applications folder) before you install '08.

Also I suggest backing up your Apple loops.

Aaah... Mr Babya... perhaps you could explain your weird facination with bull$h!t software??? Why would you be doing that.. (Check out Babyas website - it is absolutely perplexing)

From his home page! --

"Welcome to the offIcial Babya Logic and bMix website.

What's New:

Babya Logic 2.5

The Babya Logic Express & Pro 2.5 update has been released.

It's recommended to install this update if you are intending to run Babya Logic on a widescreen monitor (eg. at 1680x1050 resolution)-otherwise on these types of displays, you'd have to temporarily run Windows at 800x600 or 1024x768 to use Babya Logic."

End of page quote

WTF is this guy on?!!!

LOL .. I remember seeing this stuff floatin' around a couple of years back and it's still there!! ROTFLMAO!!

I don't know if '08 and 3.0 and co-exsist-but try renaming the Garageband 3 application from Garageband to Garageband 3 (in your applications folder) before you install '08.

Also I suggest backing up your Apple loops.

Aaah... Mr Babya... perhaps you could explain your weird facination with bull$h!t software??? Why would you be doing that.. (Check out Babyas website - it is absolutely perplexing)

From his home page! --

"Welcome to the offIcial Babya Logic and bMix website.

What's New:

Babya Logic 2.5

The Babya Logic Express & Pro 2.5 update has been released.

It's recommended to install this update if you are intending to run Babya Logic on a widescreen monitor (eg. at 1680x1050 resolution)-otherwise on these types of displays, you'd have to temporarily run Windows at 800x600 or 1024x768 to use Babya Logic."

End of page quote

WTF is this guy on?!!!

LOL .. I remember seeing this stuff floatin' around a couple of years back and it's still there!! ROTFLMAO!!

Well-for start, Babya Logic is not related to Apple Logic (and should be discussed elsewhere). But its exported files work well as loops in Logic.

yeah, but why is your software called, "Babya Logic Pro" "Babya Logic Express" complete with an "ES10" softsynth and "Guitar Amp Pro" amp sim??? and when you write about it plainly, you just say Logic Pro and Logic Express. what kind of scam is this??? does some poor bastard buying your software think hes getting the Real Deal and ends up with your bull$hit?

Aside from the 'screwing with your loops' issues with GB...the rest of iLife '08 is pretty interesting. I took the time out to watch a few tutorials from Apples website...

http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/

DIFFERENT is an understatement..but, if you've been using iMovie/iPhoto/iDVD for a while...UNLEARNING what you know, and RETHINKING the process will yield some pretty darn interesting results.

***SOMETHING tells me that we'll be facing this with Logic 8. Lots of unlearning, relearning, RETHINKING our procedures, etc....

matrixx,

I'm pretty sure it's just a gag site. I recall reading on another forum that this software doesn't exist, but the page exists just to create google hits on the site.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to just for that, eh? Besides, if it was a commercially sold product, there would be trademark issues. Not a battle you want to fight with somebody like Apple!

• 4 months later...

Hi..The only option I know of is to go to Logic Exspress8...This has been happening for a while now between GB and Logic..

If you have the latest of one and not the other they are incompatible...The same as using LP8 and attempting to open a file done in it in LP7==No Go...

Sorry....JON