New Setup in logic X (sound is only coming from left side?) Screenshot???

m i c h a e l
Go to solution Solved by m i c h a e l,

I just recently bought a new microphone and interface. I had been using an Editors keys Sl 300 usb microphone in logic with little trouble. My new setup however is beginning to be frustrating. 

Main issue: sound is only coming from the left side of my headphones. (I have the mono selected so that isnt the issue I believe)

Setup:

Rode ntr active ribbon (just received today) 

into 

Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 

into 

Logic X

Pic:

http://imgur.com/a/gq3Jq

Could you do a screenshot of your Audio preferences in Logic too?  I'm just wondering if you're not setup correctly and you're hearing the direct monitor in one ear of the mic directly via the Focusrite... possibly.. lol.

Also, dumb question, but headphone is all the way in, right?  And you've checked other audio and it's stereo i'm guessing?

It's worth watching the stereo output meters in mixer view on Logic too to confirm if it's only on one side.

Actually, looking at your screenshot your output is 'Output 1', looks like that is the potential problem there, you need to make sure your mix output is going to both channels of the Focusrite.  (Usually the last channel on the mixer).

Is it only in Logic that you're getting sound from one side? 

And on that first screenshot, i'm still confused with the 'Output 1' channel strip that's displayed, that still suggests to me you only had a single output setup, but looking at the second screenshot you have 'Stereo Out' as i would expect to see.

Maybe someone else can work that out?  

Cause i think it's the cause, but i can't work out why on the first screenshot, your mic track is going through to an 'Output 1'.

Silly thing to ask, but have you tried since the second screenshot, as all looks ok?

Setup screen: http://imgur.com/a/AYfSE

final screen: http://imgur.com/a/D2cYV

Also skijumptoes yes when the focusrite is on and my headphones are plugged into it, everything including youtube videos and spotify all play from the left.  So im assuming it has something to do with the focusrite?? When I plug my headphones into my macbook stereo comes back?? Again thanks for all the help im just trying to get a few good tracks recorded before my 14 day trial period with this new mic to see if I want to keep it.  I was using garageband before so logic is new to me thanks again for all your help guys it really is appreciated.

m i c h a e l

Yes unfortunately my jacks are both stereo I was hoping that would be issue as it would be a easy fix. As far as testing them out on speakers I have yet to try. I will let you know how that goes in the near future.

Also do any of you know how to restore original settings in logic maybe I messed something up and that might help me get everything sorted.

Again thank you for the help.

m I c h a e l

Hi Michael

I think trying the main outputs from the Focusrite as soon as you can would be the best course of action as this would confirm whether the problem is down to the interface. As far as I know, the main outputs are a mirror of the headphone output, so it could highlight a hardware problem.  

If Spotify/YouTube is only coming out of the left headphone then doing a reset of Logic would not change this and could just add in new problems. 

Gotta say, looks like you may have a faulty interface, I immediately think that because there's very little to setup or maintain on those Scarlett's to make your configuration to go wrong, it's simply class compliant, plug n play.  Really simple setup.

You could try checking the following have the correct balance/volume settings on a system level:-

i.e. In MacOS itself check the following-

1) Settings -> Sound

Check the balance is in the middle (If it appears for your interface when selected).

2) Applications -> Utilities -> Audio Midi Setup

Once in the Audio Midi Setup:-

1. Go to the window menu item at the top of the screen and select 'Show Audio Devices' so that the audio devices window is displaying.
  2. Select the Scarlett and check the Outputs tab, and all volumes look ok, and is showing stereo output.

• Solution

Well looks like it was the settings in MacOS, so thanks skijumptoes. I don't know exactly what it was, but I fiddled around in the midi audio setup and then boom stereo. What a beautiful sound!  Everything seems to check out Ive restarted my mac and tested it a few to time to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Thank you to everyone in this thread who helped me out.  You guys have no idea how grateful I am that I can finally hear this microphone in its glory and its all thanks to you guys. 

Thanks

m i c h a e l