Multiple midi inputs

GMP24

Hi,

My question is about how best to map my changed keyboard set up to Logic.

I have been using Logic Pro X with a Macbook Pro for a year or so, Just with one main keyboard for midi in/out.

So now I have introduced some other keys and I'm wondering the best way to input everything.

Audio interface is Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40 with only one Midi In and Out.

Keys I want to include are Oxygen 88 (controller keyboard, midi out only), Juno DS (Midi In and Out) and an old Roland D70 (Midi In/Out/Thru)

So breaking this down into simple terms.

1, I could just route audio outputs from the keys into audio interface and record the audio into tracks into Logic. This is okay but I would ideally like to be able to record the midi as well and playback through instruments.

2. What is the simplest/clearest way to route multiple midi in/outs onto logic tracks?

3. What would you recommend for my set up?

4. I have an old MOTU Midi MicroExpress unit which I used to use with a previous ProTools LE system. I kind of retired this when I moved to Logic. Could I still use this (it has USB to computer)? Do you think I could drive it from OSX (MacBook)?

I would welcome your thoughts.

Looking forward to your advice,

GMP24

Multiple (separate) midi outputs in logic is painful

it's not problematic to record MIDI and audio for one interface at a time, once you have them connected. Just setup a new empty track and logic automatically captures ALL midi input on that track.

Were you to play two different controllers at once, you'd need to split them in the environment IIRC

Thanks Ploki.

I have (had) at least got all my keys talking to logic through MOTU Microexpress so I could play from any keyboard. I was just about to test playback and go further when I noticed something odd when recording from my Juno DS. I may post a separate subject but basically I noticed I was getting strange note generation when recording. 

I wondered what was going on so trying to eliminate the causes I went back to basics and just connected the Juno directly to my audio interface (Midi In/Out). The interface is a Focusrite Sapphire Pro40. Then recording midi it kept going into wierd mode seemingly generating multiple notes (and creating a cacophony!) Eventually I tried just recording with one midi lead (Juno Midi out to Sapphire Midi in). This recorded okay. Then I connected just the Sapphire Midi out to Juno Midi In (no other lead) and it played back fine (no multiple notes etc.).

So the question is what's going on? Could it be some sort of looping in the channel paths? (generating multiple times?). I'm not sure if the problem lies with logic, the interface or the Juno. I looked in Logic's midi menus but I couldn't see anything obvious to me (although I'm no expert).

If you have an ideas please let me know.

GMP24

It might be that Juno DS has "midi thru" mode on its MIDI out, so when you connected midi i/o and pressed a key, MIDI went from Juno to Logic, and back from Logic to Juno and then through Juno internally back to logic.

So, sort of a MIDI feedback loop.