How do I use an LSO File ?

RoyFan

LSO = Logic SOng file, it's a Logic file, you open it in Logic (File > Open).

thanks dave, i opened it up, and see some configurations they've done..not sure exactly what it's called.. but i think they've added the motif as a midi intsrument?

or layer of sorts?  do you know in general what one does in this case iwth the 'layer' they've defineid? 

i can't seem to create a utility midi track from it, it doesn't show up.. do i config it thru control surface?

1. Select the MIDI Multi-instrument in the environment and in the Inspector, choose the correct Port parameter to set the Port on your MIDI interface that is connected to the MIDI In on the MOTIF (or to select the MOTIF directly if it's a USB connection).
  2. Drag and drop the MIDI instrument in your Tracks area, it should create tracks you can use to trigger your MOTIF.

1. Select the MIDI Multi-instrument in the environment and in the Inspector, choose the correct Port parameter to set the Port on your MIDI interface that is connected to the MIDI In on the MOTIF (or to select the MOTIF directly if it's a USB connection).
  2. Drag and drop the MIDI instrument in your Tracks area, it should create tracks you can use to trigger your MOTIF.

thanks Dave.  Have you worked with the Motif specifically for this type of thing?  I'm able to control the motif with Logic but it seems like if I create multiple midi or external midi tracks (with the goal of controlling more than 1 patch without having to re select the patch each time),  that this only works if the midi track commnuicates thru port 1.

And if I create multiple midi tracks communiating thru port 1 with the motif, when 1 changes the motif preset , all the other ones change with it.

Anyway to do multiple ones?  

Also ever since I've tried to achieve this, the motif (audio signal) cuts out, and only comes back when i lower the volume on it all the way and bring it back.. related you think?

dave - question on motif still stands..but i'm going to start a new thread on the motif dropping out as I think it's an interface thing..

obviously if there's any way the motif can start to crap out as a result of configin i'm doing thru logic (as opposed bigger issues) I'd love to know

Yes, I did this a few times in studios that had a MOTIF, and yes, Yamaha is right, it's about finding the right "mode" for the MOTIF, those keyboards always have some kind of multi-timbral mode, or DAW-mode, sequencer-mode, computer-mode.... something like that, so that it can play different patches on different MIDI channels. This info should be somewhere in the MOTIF manual? 

BTW you cannot point Logic to a song. You just point Logic to a MIDI Port/MIDI Channel where it has to route the MIDI data. Then you put the MOTIF in song/pattern mode if that's how you get to have the MOTIF behave as a multi-timbral sound module. 

Yes, I did this a few times in studios that had a MOTIF, and yes, Yamaha is right, it's about finding the right "mode" for the MOTIF, those keyboards always have some kind of multi-timbral mode, or DAW-mode, sequencer-mode, computer-mode.... something like that, so that it can play different patches on different MIDI channels. This info should be somewhere in the MOTIF manual? 

BTW you cannot point Logic to a song. You just point Logic to a MIDI Port/MIDI Channel where it has to route the MIDI data. Then you put the MOTIF in song/pattern mode if that's how you get to have the MOTIF behave as a multi-timbral sound module. 

Thanks - I know how to navigate to song/pattern mode on the motif.  And to select voices for each channel.  Then I'm creating an external midi track.. and in the right drop down

i'm choosing the right port for the motif (1).  you're saying if I have the motif in a certain song/pattern with certain voices assigned to the 16 channels then all I have to do is change the "channel" setting on the external midi track?  don't worry about "bank"?

i believe i've tried this but I'll try again..  i think there was no sound generated when I played..does one have to always create an associated audio/auxilary to hear sound when doing this?

you're saying if I have the motif in a certain song/pattern with certain voices assigned to the 16 channels then all I have to do is change the "channel" setting on the external midi track?  don't worry about "bank"?

Your MOTIF's patches should be organized in banks, each bank with up to 128 patches. If you want to use a patch that is in another bank, then you do have to "worry" about banks: you have to switch banks on the MOTIF. 

I recommend you start by plugging your headphones in the headphones output of the MOTIF and worry only about MIDI for now. 

Well for anyone that's curious.  I think I've got it for now.  But the solution requires having an ability to store and then load patterns/songs to the Motif with a smart media card. 

I created a song that has 16 of my most commonly used patches on it's 16 tracks/channels.  Then like Dave said I can now communicate from Logic on multiple tracks each set to different channels.  When changing track and keeping the Motif on said song/pattern I can switch between the various 16 patches.

Of course with this solution if I have 16 other patches I have to create an additional pattern/song on the Motif and then save that one.

I'm lucky in the sense that the Motif in pattern/song mode doesn't add much reverb/chorus to the patches so I don't have to control the effects from Logic, just add stuff on my channel strip. 

I briefly saw something on this on another thread I believe here from years ago? if anyone has any info on controlling effects that would be cool (i don't recall exactly where I saw it and it if it was here)

Yes, you need to be in pattern mode to communicate midi with logic. As you say, you use one pattern and in this case you have 16 channels which should correspond to 16 logic tracks.

However, in my case I do not set anything in the motif, instead I use logic to select a bank and voice (patch) within that bank. In this way I just switch on the motif and select an empty pattern and then when I restart the project it always selects the required motif "instrument" for the right track!

I created my environment for the motif manually, so I assume Yamaha sent you something similar that they'd already prepared.

Have a look at this thread, towards the end, it may be useful:

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=131025