hissing and ringing sound within logic.

marleycs1997

take that all back, re opened logic and it's gone back to its original ways 

So it could be related to Logic in some way?  Did you open a new project in Logic? (Without a template).

i.e. You haven't got any amp sims or plugins running that would cause a hiss have you?

And does it hiss when you record enable/monitor a track only? Or at all times?

It's really important to establish if it's your input into Logic, or the output that's causing this.  

An electrical issue would be a more dynamic interference that you can hear, like chattering etc.  

Ground loop you mainly get a tone in there.  

But if you're hearing a static hiss (i.e. like a constant background noise), then in my mind that would be noise floor/high gain issue - You sure the gain or tube drive isn't set high on the presonus box?

I would turn all the gain/drive dials down on the presonus, in fact, turn everything down while you're testing to rule out un-necessary gain being put through the signal chain - this includes your mixer, and any amplification on your monitors, bring all the levels down.  I say that, as It's entirely possible that the way you're setup you're not feeding a channel with enough signal, and therefore having to raise the amplification on the mixer to compensate, and it's raising the noise floor.

Meter where you can, i.e. if your mixer has lights on it for it's inputs, and particularly logic's metering, look on there to see if this hiss is registering (That would indicate if it's an input issue or not).  If nothing is going through you shouldn't see any activity on the meters.

You could even try recording 4-5 audio tracks with the hiss, and by stacking those recordings up you can see if it increases on playback of all 4-5 tracks (At the same time), if it doesn't then the issue isn't on your input.

in logic i have a new project no plug ins or anything and now i have my headphones connected to the mixer and have the output and input as the mixer. even when the cannel is muted or anything the hissing sound still occurs.

i turn down all my gains, levels ect on everything but still get a hissing sound, with all the gains down nothing is being registered. 

recording with all the gains down or gains at normal level?

Ok, so when you create a new project in Logic, select 'External Instrument' as the track for Logic to create and make sure that 'external instrument plugin' is NOT enabled.

This will ensure that no Audio tracks are running in Logic and we can rule out monitoring/feedback on the audio bus on a new project.

Does the hissing still occur if you do that?

Also, what kind of level is the Headphones knob on? You will get some hissing over 70-80% one suspects, but are you getting it with the knob at 50% position?

This must be really frustrating for you!!!

the hissing still occurs 

and i still get a hissing sound at 50%

if i change the output to the system output and plug my headphones into that instead of the mixer then the hissing doesn't occur. 

so frustrating!! i have a massive passion for my music so not being able to do much apart from write is killing me, but i really do appreciate the help!!!

If you turn the headphones down, the hissing reduces though right?  i.e. this hiss is coming through the headphone channel and isn't just a fault.

I can totally get that the Behringer will be noisy, you know when compared to high end gear, they're very affordable and they're great at the price, but they're going to be more susceptible to noise - but i would only expect that at higher gains, and related to the pre-amps if you're pushing the gain on them - which you're not.

However, as this only occurs when Logic is running that totally baffles me, particularly when you're not monitoring any of the inputs.  I can't see how Logic would start a hiss, unless the Xenyx has some kind of sleep mode on the USB Audio driver.

Just to confirm on the Xenyx, that you've dropped all the levels to rule out hissing from any of the inputs making it into your headphones:-

1. You've Turned down all of the input levels (Level and Trim knobs)

2, Turned down the "Main" volume knob.

3, And all EQ are set to zero 

Really running out of ideas here! :-(

it comes through the headphone channel but it still occurs even if its normal output on the mac but it's just not the same, the hiss only occurs when the 'i' button is on 

yeah, the tube amp does make the hiss more present from just the behringer, but still i wouldn't except there to be this much of a hiss.

i've tried searching about about a sleep mode on the xenyx but doesn't come up with anything? 

looking at all the reviews on amazon for this product, there is not one person that i can see that uses this mixer for recording and is succesful with it, everyone uses it to link up speakers and every review on recording is 1 star, and have horrible problems recording with it, people say about static noise and if they knew about this they'd look to invest into a higher quality mixer. 

that is correct.

If (When using built in output, and xenyx as input) the hiss only occurs when the i (input) button is engaged than that is the hiss from the mixer (Or tubepre connected to it) coming through i would imagine.

I would immediately point the finger at the Behringer, but it's just this whole thing that it only occurs when Logic is running that makes me hesitant and think that something isn't connected correctly, or you have a gain, drive or compression pumped up somewhere that you're not aware of.

Depending on what you're plugging in to the mixer, then something like a little Focusrite 2i2 (Or equivalent) may be a better long term investment as it will be of far better quality for you - but you are limited to 2 inputs at once (4x for the 2i4).

I'm thinking, rather than spending additional money, are you able to return the newer Behringer mixer and perhaps look on the secondhand market for a dedicated audio interface?  

If you're on a budget, there won't be a huge difference in price if you can do it that way?

It's very hard to 100% point the finger at the Behringer, but if you got yourself a tried and tested audio interface with more transparent pre-amps, it's going to deal more effectively with a ready boosted signal (From the presonus) going in to it.  In fact, if you're using the Presonus for Mic recording, you may find that the Scarlett replaces that also if you're not using the drive settings a great deal, and just wanting a clean mic going in to logic.

yeah after reading them reviews it seems to me that the behringer is the problem but as you say you can fully point the finger at it, but i'm willing to try whatever 

im not on a budget here, urm so you'd still recommend getting secondhand forcusrite? 

yeah i i tend to use the drive setting every recording, i love what it does.

Well, have a look at different interfaces and see what suits you best, i only say the Scarlett's as they're pretty much the go to audio interface for a lot of people who don't need a vast array of options, plus you can get them pretty much anywhere too.

Focusrite pre-amps are very good for the money, but there's plenty of other options out there too.  As with all interfaces, Remember with the 2i2 it's a 2 input interface so you can record 2x separate line sources into Logic with that (2x Mono, or 1x stereo), the 2i4 has double the inputs so (4x mono, or 2x stereo) - so aim for something that suits the gear you may want to plug in simultaneously.

And no, secondhand was just a budget thing, you will get *dramatically* (I truly mean that) better recordings using something like that vs a behringer mixer, this hissing/noise issue aside, it would probably be the best purchase you could make right now to get a decent Audio Interface for recording.

I'm 90% sure it will sort your hiss out too, but no guarantees of course.

so i decided to go with: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/discontinued_hardware/ur22.html

but my problem still isn't solved. i still have to use the phantom power extension, the one on the interface doesn't work for my mic. in regards to the hissing. i can't judge with the output being the interface because it doesn't work, it seems faulty, even if i play music through it, its horrible. then when i have the output as the mac then the hiss is still present.

when recording too, the readings are ether really thin or really wide there's no in between, i have to have 3 things connected up, if i remove the amp then the hissing still occurs but its subtle, but when i record some vocals the show up as nearly nothing but you can hear them well. 

just trying to give you as much information as possible 

Have the gain on your audio interface as low as possible (50% or below), and use the gain/drive controls on your presonus to set the level you require.  The lower you can have the audio interface gain then the more transparent it is.

Also check if the inputs on your audio interface are set to line or instrument (If the option is there).  In fact, looking at the UR22 (See belowit has a switch inside to automatically do this based on the connector used (XLR or 1/4"), and you can't set it yourself.

Ideally you need to be coming out of your presonus via the balanced XLR output, and then into an input on your UR22 with a TRS 1/4" Jack (This forces the UR22 to use line level).  (So basically an XLR to TRS 1/4" Balanced cable).  I don't think this is hugely critical but it may be amplifying any hissing that you have.

How are you connected at the moment?  

Be aware of these factors:-

If it's currently XLR to XLR then your UR22 will be treating that as a microphone signal and applying more gain.

If you're not using the balanced output on the presonus, it's also possible you are picking up additional interference there.

Cabling aside, to get this right, you need to be mindful that you're running through 2x pre-amps, and therefore getting your volume right is key.  You need to make sure there's enough voice getting in to the mic so that the noise floor isn't a factor when it's going through the tube pre, and again that the UR22 isn't further amping that signal un-necessarily.

Also when you drive any signal it is going to bring out the noise floor also, so the amount of voice going into the mic at the start is going to be the most critical factor for you, so you can bring those gains down.

Am i making sense?! 

Note: I found this information here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3378806

yeah i tried to set the level with the interface being below 50% then using the presounus but to receive a good signal it's too high and receive a horrible hiss.

i have connected up like this 

mic - phantom power - presounus - interface - mac

are you suggesting that i use the line outputs on the interface?

i do currently have it connected xlr to xlr

i do use the balanced output on presounus 

yeah you are aha, it's all just a pain, im trying to get a friend of mine who works in a studio as an engineer to come round tomorrow too

I imagine you would need the female XLR version of the cable above (Whatever matches your Presonus balanced output)

Currently - As you're going XLR out of the presonus, and XLR In to the UR22, the UR22 is automatically assuming you have a microphone connected and is adding gain to that signal internally.  However, the presonus is already doing the job of boosting the signal.

So, by changing cable so you're coming XLR Out of the presonus, but going into the UR22 as a TRS 1/4" connector it will switch the UR22 into line level mode because of the physical connector. (i.e. Meaning the UR22 won't apply the additional gain).

But honestly, i don't think that's going to make much difference in terms of hiss, it's just the preferred method of connecting a pre-amp to the UR22 reading the specs.  I would wait to see if your mate could pop round before buying anything else.

I know it's not ideal, but until your mate can get round, why don't you take the presonus pre-amp out of the chain at the moment, and use the SE X1 mic straight into your UR22 interface and apply tube effect within Logic itself as a work around?

i.e. Something like the built-in 'clip distortion' plugin.  Or explore some of the built in Vocal channel strips that Logic provide?

If you was nearby to me,  i'd offer to come up and see if i can help, but you're miles and miles away from me so can't do.