Excellent headphones for £80

I recently found myself needing a new pair of headphones for tracking and, after reading a number of reviews, I plumped for a pair of Audio Technica ATH M40X and all I can say is, wow! The all round balance is excellent but their pièce de résistance is the bass which goes low and is crystal clear. I also had a go at mixing the bass end on a couple of tracks and, although not perfect, they translated exceptionally well. 

Anyhoo, hope this helps anyone in search of decent phones.

Edited by nev17

I keep looking at those vs the M50X's and it seems that for mixing the general opinion is that 40's are better, but my current (Superlux HD681 Evo) cheapy headphones are doing me so good at the moment i can't really justify using anything else.  If/When they break i'll definitely be looking at the M40/M50x's though.

Soundwise aside, do they seem comfortable to wear and the cord ok?  My headphone port is further back than where i sit so a decent length cord that doesn't snag is always most welcome.

You're right. The general consensus is that the 40's are flatter than the 50's. 

They're reasonably comfortable and in theory are over the ear, but they just catch a little. Fine for an hour or so, though. I believe you can change the ear pads for something bigger & softer which I'll probably do at some point.

It comes with 2 x 3m leads, one straight, one coiled so all bases covered. I also got a 1.2m straight lead to use with an iphone. And the iphone drives them reasonably well, which is a bonus. 

I'm sorry portblueten but that's not helpful advice. Many of the people who use this forum have restricted budgets and can not spend a penny more than they have in their pockets. If £80 is what they have, then they need advice for that budget and not a glib comment about how they should be richer. 

You have also assumed that I haven't heard the headphones you suggest and haven't already excluded them in a price/value comparison. For your information, I've used DT100's all my life and I know exactly how they sound. And I can tell you the M40X's are worthy alternatives. 

I have the M50X for home studio and the M30X for work music/podcast so I am on both sides of this! The 50s are quite comfortable, but seem too bassy for my mixing. Meanwhile the 30s are pure torture on my ear flesh. Seems I should have probably bought two 40s based on what people are saying here... Sigh.

The M-40Xs are what I use too, and yes they are a steal for the price! Someday when I have dispensable cash I'd like to get the more expensive Senheisser 600s but for now, the M-40Xs are serving me quite well indeed. Congrats on the purchase!

I have the M50X for home studio and the M30X for work music/podcast so I am on both sides of this! The 50s are quite comfortable, but seem too bassy for my mixing. Meanwhile the 30s are pure torture on my ear flesh. Seems I should have probably bought two 40s based on what people are saying here... Sigh.

If you were able to maybe borrow a pair of 40's, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences. 

• 5 months later...

If you were able to maybe borrow a pair of 40's, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences. 

Sorry for such a late reply. Alas, I have no friends who have good headphones...

• 3 years later...
I recently found myself needing a new pair of headphones for tracking and, after reading a number of reviews, I plumped for a pair of Audio Technica ATH M40X and all I can say is, wow! The all round balance is excellent but their pièce de résistance is the bass which goes low and is crystal clear. I also had a go at mixing the bass end on a couple of tracks and, although not perfect, they translated exceptionally well. 

Although your review is 4 years old, now I choose headphones for myself I was in search of some reviews, I saw yours and now I definitely intend to take it, but still I will ask the question, has your opinion changed after 4 years?

I'm sorry portblueten but that's not helpful advice. Many of the people who use this forum have restricted budgets and can not spend a penny more than they have in their pockets. If £80 is what they have, then they need advice for that budget and not a glib comment about how they should be richer. 

You have also assumed that I haven't heard the headphones you suggest and haven't already excluded them in a price/value comparison. For your information, I've used DT100's all my life and I know exactly how they sound. And I can tell you the M40X's are worthy alternatives. 

I'm totally agree with you.

Although your review is 4 years old, now I choose headphones for myself I was in search of some reviews, I saw yours and now I definitely intend to take it, but still I will ask the question, has your opinion changed after 4 years?

No, my opinion is the same but I haven't tried any other headphones in that time so maybe there are now better ones out there for the money. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go for them, though.