Horrible waveform on audio region when zooming in/out

3ple

Hey guys!

This is probably something that was discussed here before (I hope it's just me having this issue, that means there's a "cure" for this), but the waveform can look horrible when past a certain zoom out level. Is this something that anyone else is experiencing? Is there a fix or is this something we all hope Apple will fix soon, because honestly, a daw like Logic having this kind of waveform is totally unacceptable...

This only happens when I'm using the Region Gain feature to increase the volume on the region itself or when I use that Waveform Zoom button on the top right next to the Drag submenu

Thanks! :)

zoom-waveform-horrible.gif.e7ab78c7b94e62759cda6d4605fc51cb.gif

I use destructive gain from the Audio File Editor.

Never found a good workflow with the region gain in Logic

For me the region gain is a go-to feature. I use it all the time, because it's faster and more practical for me. I cut the region, go to the Gain, add the amount of dBs or just click and drag with the mouse. If I want to go back to 0 I just Option+click. I guess it's a matter of starting to use it ;) 

Also, sometimes you want to apply a gain boost or reduction it several regions at the same time or even if they have different gains and you select them, you can then click and drag and it changes the gain proportionally, which is very practical (for me, at least)

Can you zip that logic project and upload it.

Have you tried refresh overviews ?

It's not the project itself. It's a normal behavior in all projects, actually. This is a thing that's been bothering me for a while.

You can try it yourself. Get an audio region, apply a gain boost using the region panel on the Inspector (left panel) or click that Waveform Zoom button on the top right, next to the Drag submenu. if you zoom out, I believe you will see the same result. Let me know

Top track is baseline.

2nd track is identical to first except for 13db of additional gain using the inspector.

clicking the zoom button or using the slider results in the attached.

I do not see what you are seeing....

waveform.gif

Try to zoom out so you can see more of the region. When I zoom in to a certain level, it becomes normal. It's not always like that as you can see on my initial post. That's why it's weird

Top track is baseline.

2nd track is identical to first except for 13db of additional gain using the inspector.

clicking the zoom button or using the slider results in the attached.

I do not see what you are seeing....

waveform.gif

Ok I found out why certain regions do that and some don't. If you import a loop from Apple Loops or another external audio, it shows the normal waveform. But if I record something, then that's when the waveform gets weird. I'm attaching the project so you can see it for yourself and let me know if you experience the same thing:

waveform.zip

Zoom In

229071238_ZoomIn.png.7c2ad1a4d265565bd34fb57dc023b05a.png

Zoom Out

385001621_ZoomOut.png.8ab2443304eab006b3b306327ba82ce0.png

Maybe It's because you have a very low input level on your audio 2 track in the mixer?

Try to set it to unity gain (0) and do another take.

My mixer doesn't look like yours. Mine is greyed out:

1465498605_ScreenShot2017-05-09at3_15_18PM.png.86d72935a2674c0153fe45564c687bab.png

At the same time, I don't see why or how that would affect the waveform for 2 reasons:

a - there's always low volume sounds in an audio region, including the loops I imported. If a low volume would be the issue, then the loops would also show a weird waveform, at least where the low volumes are, right?

b - this only behaves on a certain level of zoom, not in all levels, so it's a bug, in my opinion. If we attribute numbers to the different zoom levels, let's say for example from 0 to 30 it looks horrible and then suddenly at 31 all the way to 100 it looks fine...

I will have to report it to apple...

Maybe It's because you have a very low input level on your audio 2 track in the mixer?

Try to set it to unity gain (0) and do another take.

My mixer doesn't look like yours. Mine is greyed out:

My bad, sorry. It was the input level of my own interface on my screenshot, for sure!  :oops:

• 5 years later...
On 5/9/2017 at 4:07 PM, 3ple said:

Yeah that's what I thought... no worries ;)

Hi 3ple just wanted to know if you finally resolved the wave issue and what did you do cus I’m having the same problem . Appreciate help from everyone thanks 

10 hours ago, Jagga said:

Hi 3ple just wanted to know if you finally resolved the wave issue and what did you do cus I’m having the same problem . Appreciate help from everyone thanks 

I don't think I experienced that again. Maybe it was an older version of Logic. What's yours?

As you can read on one of my replies, the issue was with some recorded material. Can't explain why, because I have no idea what happens behind the scenes there, also, it seems to have disappeared...

• Like 1