Sierra - overheating and processor spikes

Cornel Lazar

Hi all.  I've upgraded to Sierra recently, rather unwillingly (I was trying to see if I could fix a problem with my dual Raven setup, which turned out to be a hardware issue after all).  I don't necessarily mind being on Sierra, except that now the fans on my 2012 retina MBP won't stop running, and Logic has processor spikes after about 15 minutes into a session.  I've had this happen so far on every session I've done on Sierra, with drummer, audio, other VIs, etc.

I've searched for solutions to the fan issue, and have done all the trouble shooting suggestions I could find (reset pram, smc, safe mode, etc).  I've reset caches and made sure all the updates are installed.  Nothing is helping.

Right now, my system is really unworkable.  I'm about ready to go back to El Capitan, but I thought I'd let you guys know what I'm dealing with in hopes you might have some helpful suggestions.

Thanks!

have the same laptop as you, except 2.7, recently upgraded to sierra and can't say I notice any difference whatsoever from El Cap. Runs about the same. Might be something that's incompatible from your el cap instalation, or a botched update. Try with a clean system if you have some spare time (and spare drives for backups)

Thanks for the replies.  Yeah, I guess I should have done a clean install like I always do, but I was pressed for time with trying to figure out a bunch of issues.  It's definitely running hotter than El Cap, even on just Logic alone with no other apps running and no external monitors attached.

I checked to see if anything is eating up CPU, but nothing out of the ordinary (i.e. there isn't any one process that's maxing out or spiking the CPU at all, like you'd see with indexing or the like).

I'll need to bite the bullet and do a clean reinstall.  I have time machine backups, but I'm curious what other backup/imaging software you all might be using.  I've had trouble with time machine issues in the past, and I have too much software and plugins installed to want to do a fresh reinstall of all of that.

Thanks again.

The fans are there for a reason. Don't worry about them. Logic is a heavy duty program and can get the computer working hard. Chrome is also a great application if you want to have your fans run at full speed.

the computer isn't overheating, that is what the fans are for. If it were it would be shutting off. If there truly is a sudden change in the fan activity since the OS upgrade see if there are midi and/or audio drivers that need updating.