bounce in place creates a stereo track instead of mono

1pauper1
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

could someone please tell me why "bounce in place"   turns my mono track into a stereo track ...

I would like my mono tracks to stay mono 

on a sidenote ... why is it that everything about "bounce in place" has to be some kind of convoluted work around .

this is a basic standard function in any DAW ... 

we have suffered with this broken piece of crap "bounce in place" function for years , 

somebody who's got a guy who knows a guy needs to tell that guy to get off his lazy arse and fix it .

• Solution
1pauper1:

could someone please tell me why "bounce in place"   turns my mono track into a stereo track ...

There is no such thing as a "mono track" or a "stereo track". There is, on the other hand, such a thing as a mono audio signal and a stereo audio signal. A track feeds an audio signal to a channel strip, and a channel strip can carry an audio signal that can change format (such as mono and stereo) at multiple points in the signal flow. 

A typical example is a channel strip that has a mono input and a stereo output. 

So you need to pay attention to what you're bouncing exactly. If you bounce the stereo signal at the stereo output of a channel strip that has a mono input, well you're still bouncing a stereo signal, and the resulting file is stereo. 

To bounce a mono signal, you can make sure the last plug-in inserted in the Audio FX section is mono and do not include volume/pan automation. 

• Love 1

Make sure there's no stereo plugin on the track.

Also it's more effective if you bounce the regions in place and not the track to make sure it doesn't catch a stereo aux send that you forget to mute or not include.

Used this for years and never had any issues.

no plug-ins whatsoever on the track ... I am not using any sends .

if you have used this for years then you realize that it does not bounce in place ...

it bounces it to a "new track" ... not in place ... which is what annoys me .

and thanks for your input .

Edited by 1pauper1

"broken piece of crap"? there are simply options (which is a good thing)...

well I thought Bounce in Place meant bounce in place as in "right where it is on the same track"

not bouncing it to a new track  ... making you have to drag it back to the old track ,

and then delete the new track it created .

the option for this is grayed out ... unless you work around it by using the marquee tool ...

which changes the length  and starting point of the region .

so like I said ... annoying work around piece of crap 

I am reading David's post right now ... 

1pauper1:

There is no such thing as a "mono track" or a "stereo track". There is, on the other hand, such a thing as a mono audio signal and a stereo audio signal. A track feeds an audio signal to a channel strip, and a channel strip can carry an audio signal that can change format (such as mono and stereo) at multiple points in the signal flow. 

So you need to pay attention to what you're bouncing exactly. If you bounce the stereo signal at the stereo output of a channel strip that has a mono input, well you're still bouncing a stereo signal, and the resulting file is stereo. 

To bounce a mono signal, you can make sure the last plug-in inserted in the Audio FX section is mono and do not include volume/pan automation. Or, if you need to include volume/pan automation, then make sure the output of your channel strip is mono. 

my bad for not being correct in my terminology ... I am referring to the printed audio signal and waveform ... not the track

I want to keep a mono audio signal and waveform while bouncing in place .

as you and JakobP  have pointed out ... unchecking that include volume/pan automation box is is the secret I was looking for .

thanks Dave .

Edited by 1pauper1

why would you bounce in place without any FX anyway?

volume changes to some of the regions ...   

changes done in the region parameters in the info box above the left channel strip.

you can adjust region volume on the fly there while cycling / listening to the audio ....

then when you have it where you like it just bounce it in place .

a quick and easy method for general leveling of region volumes on tracks, 

before getting down and dirty with automation and flex .

I find this method easier than opening up a region in the editor and using the volume function .

i often bounce sample playback (for example, a guitar phrase, or a loop), so i can edit the audio to my liking; then i can add FX. a great way to work (for me, anyway). besides, in a mix, you might want, perhaps, less reverb, or more distortion (or whatever). nothing like having options...

changes done in the region parameters in the info box above the left channel strip.

you can adjust region volume on the fly there while cycling / listening to the audio ....

I find this method easier than opening up a region in the editor and using the volume function .

of course. well, you can use "Join regions" (cmd+J) instead, that way it just merges the file while respecting gain changes. Much more elegant and faster than bounce in place.

Merging regions that were only split and had no gain changes applied will not generate a new file.

EDIT: 

While we're here and if anyone reads this: when you complain about a function in logic not working as expected you should ALWAYS write down what do you wish to achieve, because there's a possibility that what you need can be achieved in a different way. It will speed up solving your issue.

Edited by Ploki

i often bounce sample playback (for example, a guitar phrase, or a loop), so i can edit the audio to my liking; then i can add FX. a great way to work (for me, anyway). besides, in a mix, you might want, perhaps, less reverb, or more distortion (or whatever). nothing like having options...

well yes, but he was talking about keeping it on the same audio track. if you have a sampler instrument you need a new track anyway. I use that a lot to (converting software intsruments to audio, to process further)

of course. well, you can use "Join regions" (cmd+J) instead, that way it just merges the file while respecting gain changes. Much more elegant and faster than bounce in place.

Merging regions that were only split and had no gain changes applied will not generate a new file.

EDIT: 

While we're here and if anyone reads this: when you complain about a function in logic not working as expected you should ALWAYS write down what do you wish to achieve, because there's a possibility that what you need can be achieved in a different way. It will speed up solving your issue.

but the problem with joining regions is the fact that it does not preserve the regions ...

if I wanted one five-minute region the entire length of the vocal track ... then joining would be just the ticket ...

but I don't want that ... I want my regions left intact ; where is , as is ...  but with the added changes I specify ...

bounce in place 

a quick and easy method for general leveling of region volumes on tracks, ...

Just curious, why do you want to print the gain change to the audio file ? I do also use the region inspector gain-function for rough leveling of the regions, but I don't feel the need to print it into the file ?

EDIT: 

but the problem with joining regions is the fact that it does not preserve the regions ...

if I wanted one five-minute region the entire length of the vocal track ... then joining would be just the ticket ...

but I don't want that ... I want my regions left intact ; where is , as is ...  but with the added changes I specify ...

bounce in place 

Why do you want destructive gain changes? you can do that in the audiofile editor.

a quick and easy method for general leveling of region volumes on tracks, ...

Just curious, why do you want to print the gain change to the audio file ? I do also use the region inspector gain-function for rough leveling of the regions, but I don't feel the need to print it into the file ?

I never said anything about needing a gain change printed .

the point of this thread was to ask how to stop LPX from displaying / printing my mono tracks as stereo waveforms when performing a BIP .

at least that's what I was trying to ask LOL .

I guess i should have asked how to make LPX display  a mono waveform ... ( instead of print )  

Edited by 1pauper1

I have read your posts, and also gave you the tip regarding unchecking vol/pan. 

In your quote in my last post above, you mention that one reason for bip without FXs would be to "consolidate" gain changes in the region inspector ? Or did I misunderstand you ?  

my total apologies Jacob ...

I had three or four posts mixed up that I thought were you ...

if you look above you can see that I changed that post ...

again my sincerest apologies the post was in response to  my misinterpretation .

and let me redouble my thanks for all your help .

• 1 year later...
1pauper1:

To bounce a mono signal, you can make sure the last plug-in inserted in the Audio FX section is mono and do not include volume/pan automation. 

So what difference does it make when a mono signal is bounced to a mono and a stereo using "Bounce in place" ?

I guess, it doesn't affect the newly bounced signal in any way unless any effect plugins are placed in the track.

For instance, when I bounce the comp of a mono vocal region of a track with stereo output(0 inserts and 0 sends ) using 'Bounce in Place' with vol. and automation checked , the newly created Stereo audio signal in a new track doesn't sound any different when fed to the speakers. It sounds the same to me as the original comped signal(mono), although the waveform of the newly bounced audio region displays a stereo signal.

Thanks in advance for answering the question, David. I hope I made my question easily understandable.

So what difference does it make when a mono signal is bounced to a mono and a stereo using "Bounce in place" ?

I guess, it doesn't affect the newly bounced signal in any way unless any effect plugins are placed in the track.

For instance, when I bounce the comp of a mono vocal region of a track with stereo output(0 inserts and 0 sends ) using 'Bounce in Place' with vol. and automation checked , the newly created Stereo audio signal in a new track doesn't sound any different when fed to the speakers. It sounds the same to me as the original comped signal(mono), although the waveform of the newly bounced audio region displays a stereo signal.

Thanks in advance for answering the question, David. I hope I made my question easily understandable.

The only difference is that your 'stereo' audio file contains two audio signals that will be fed to Left and Right, but those two audio signals are identical, so that you'll get the same result as a mono file panned in the center.

• 2 years later...
@1pauper1 I know this is an old thread, but what has worked for me: to bounce a mono track to a new track in order to destructively reflect the volume automation used on the source, set both the output of the source channel and input for the destination channel to mono-- along with confirming everything else folks have mentioned--and you do have to check "include volume/pan automation". This is my first posting, but I have followed this site for some time and wanted to say thank you to all of you, especially to David. Stay safe everyone.

• 1 month later...
Unfortunately attempting to bounce a mono track with volume region automation (without any stereo plugins or pan automation) yields a stereo track every time for me...

Bouncing yields a file with the same format (mono or stereo) as the signal you're bouncing. When including Volume/Pan Automation, you're bouncing the signal at the output of the channel strip. If that output is stereo you're bouncing a stereo signal into a stereo audio file, if that output is mono you're bouncing a mono signal into a mono audio file.

So what you could do is click the Output slot of the channel strip and choose a mono output, then bounce, you'll get a mono file.

• Love 1