Adjusting for Latency combining MIDI and Audio tracks

johnfordyce
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I'm on my sixth track recording vocals against a mix of MIDI and audio tracks. I've always had a difficult time adjusting the audio tracks' latency to fit with the MIdI notes. What I've done in the past is just drag them to the right until I can line up some notes so it sounds right. However I think there must be a more scientific way to address the issue as the end result is always a bit messy

Does anyone have any ideas? I just recorded a vocal session in "low latency mode" where it said I had a latency of around 7 ms if that helps.

I went ahead and added a sample delay as the first plug in on my vocal processing bus to +5000 samples, sounds a lot better and I put the audio back in its original place. 

The crazy thing is, I never knew I had it set that way and have done like 5 songs that way and I always have to go through and tediously move all the audio to the right until it sounds right.

David, I am now realizing I had it set to -5000 samples as i thought zero was all the way to the left. Now I see where I was wrong. How could I fix that post-recording?

The sample delay plug-in you used should do the trick. If you'd rather move the audio regions to their proper place you'll have to do some calculations... for example if the sample rate is 44.1kHz, that's 44,100 samples per seconds, so 5,000 samples is 5,000/44,100 = 0.113 seconds (113 ms).

In Logic, you can disable the musical grid under File > Project Settings > General so that you get a "real time" clock (hours, minutes, seconds). Under Logic Pro X > Preferences > Display you can choose to Display Time as Hrs:Mn:Sec:ms. Use that to move the regions accordingly.