Creating Midi CC's from Audio

hmowday

Hi all,

I have a project wherein which I'm trying to modulate a MIDI ((CC) parameter from an audio source.

Audio playing on one track,...depending (for example) on its frequency, that audio track then modulates a Cutoff Frequency of a Synth. 

I believe this is called MIDI-Side chaining. I know how to side chain, but not sure of a native LOGIC technique where I can extract midi data from an audio track. The application I wish to use this for is not appropriate for the Audio to Midi technique. I'm after Control Data.

I believe Blue Cat Audio have a DP Meter Pro which CAN do this. For $99 its probably worth it, but was wondering if anyone out here knew of a Logic Only technique.

Regards and Thanks,

Hylton 

I have a project wherein which I'm trying to modulate a MIDI ((CC) parameter from an audio source.

Audio playing on one track,...depending (for example) on its frequency, that audio track then modulates a Cutoff Frequency of a Synth.

Ah. So you're not trying to modulate but to create MIDI CC events based on specific parameters from the audio source.

I believe this is called MIDI-Side chaining.

It isn't, and it's not related to sidechaining in any way. In the example you describe, what you're looking for is a tool that does Frequency-tracking, or Pitch-tracking, and can generate MIDI notes as a result.

The problem is, audio doesn't have ONE frequency, just like an image doesn't have ONE color. So... I'm still not clear on what it is exactly that you want to do.

Thats kinda what I'm after. I realise audio is not just one,...but for example one could say any frequency <12Khz could affect a cutoff for an oscillator whilst frequency between 5K and 8K could affect an LFO. I think Blue Cat does this (checking out demo now)....just wondering whether Logic X can do this with its own set of plugins.