CPU Overload on 8 core Mac Pro ?

Marcvern

Hello David, and friends on this great forum,

I would appreciate any input or suggestions on this problem I am having. I am a composer and lately my big templates are running about 75-100 tracks and software running on Kontakt, The Play engine, etc. My MacPro is a 8 core with 64G of RAM. I see that when I am composing a big project, my RAM can reach up to 57 G of loaded synths and software...all of the partitions are midi which I play on my external keyboard. Because of this, when the partitions get a little complex or towards the end of the project, I often get the "the CPU Overload message" :-(  . I have tried everything from increasing the buffer size I\O to 256 and then to 512, changing the rewiring behavior to off. Getting crackles and pops, audio cutting on and off, messages mentionning the audio is out of sync....the only thing that recently helped was to was to change the Process Buffer Range to Large. But I still see the CPU is working very hard and is close of overloading again. 

Any suggestions anybody ? It is just frustrating as I went from an iMac to a MacPro to resolve these issues. Had to save up a long time for the MacPro and now it's doing the same thing :-( I have friends suggesting me to switch to a PC and to Cubase. But I love my MacPro and Logic Pro X. 

Thank you my friends, 

Marco from Montreal, Canada.

That's a pretty massive workload for any computer!

Look at your individual core CPU usage.  Are you maxing out one core while not using the others as much?  If so, there are some strategies to spread out the load better.

If the load is spread across all cores fairly evenly, and there isn't some other issue at play (incorrect Logic Preference settings, some other computer issue, etc) then freezing individual CPU hungry tracks is the way to go.  Sometimes freezing just a couple CPU killer tracks is all that is necessary.

As it was asked, is it a 2013 Mac Pro or the older models. A lot of people are having "problems" with those old beasts. But, what do you expect? They're almost 10 years old computers running recent macOS and Logic. You're asking too much of it, it won't change anything going to any other DAW if you ask too much of the poor computer. 

Blink

I run very large projects with a lot of tracks.. Yes, when you reach a certain point, Logic is going to bog down.. I have a 2015 mac pro 6 core, 64 gig ram..  I was somewhat discouraged to discover I couldn't leave every instrument track live midi..  When I have expanded buffers to full amount and still having problems.. 

I start turning tracks into audio, create a channel strip setting for that virtual instrument. I name the strip preset something like ST cello..  Which ST means the song title initials, On each instrument I also make a preset too, incase I forget something.  I put the channel strip name in the midi region, so I can retrieve it later.. I then reset the channel strip to no instrument.. You can't just turn off the virtual instrument, that does not free  up  memory.. You problem will still exist you have to clear the virtual instrument track.. If Apple made it so that turning off the track, but leaving the instrument there, work, that would solve the problem. but some one here explained why they can't/won't code Logic to do that. 

There is nothing worse than having a great virtual instrument patch, nulling out the virtual instrument to get cpu power back, and then not be able to retrieve that exact same patch

.  Once you free up enough instrument tracks Logic springs back to life..  I have been using Falcon and their UVI libraries, (I really like the sound engine better)..  Logic doesn't seem able to handle more than 20 instances of Falcon at one time.. 

As I complete the piece, I often want to go back and touch up, tweak earlier instrument tracks, hence the desire to keep everything live.. When I'm done, I round up all the channel strip presets into one folder, and make a copy to go with the song project..  Cause with the last three projects I have hundreds of channel strip presets..

Not very elegant, but it's what I've come up with so far.. 

I've been with Logic a long time, and not eager to switch to another DAW.  to rectify this situation.. I don't know if other DAWS would act the same having 140 + tracks.  I know it sounds extreme to have that many tracks, but in a 30 minute piece,, it becomes easier to deal with the logistics of the piece that way,  

Any suggestions anybody ? It is just frustrating as I went from an iMac to a MacPro to resolve these issues. Had to save up a long time for the MacPro and now it's doing the same thing :-( I have friends suggesting me to switch to a PC and to Cubase. But I love my MacPro and Logic Pro X. 

Thank you my friends, 

Yes, do yourself a favour and buy Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 and host all of your VI's inside it. Even if you don't use a slave, it distributes the core loads more evenly when using on a single machine with Logic. I host all of my VI's (Play, Contact, Omnisphere, Zebra) in VEPro and it's awesome. And aside from efficiency, it keeps all of your VI's loaded so you don't have to reload between projects....a HUGE bonus, especially when working on projects with multiple cues. Alternately, you could have a powerful PC built and use that as a spave (via VEPro 6), and it will take care of the demanding VI's such as EW Hollywood Orchestra (this how I work with my setup). For example, my regular film scoring template has around 150 loaded tracks on the slave, and about a dozen on the master....which is a 15" Retina MB Pro with 16GB Ram. The slave handles most of the VI's, taking the strain off the DAW machine. VEPro is brilliant. 

For what it's worth, I also use Cubase, you will have a whole new world of issues. It is an excellent DAW as well, but has a huge learning curve if you're used to Logic.

Logic's MIDI editing capabilities are far superior to Cubase's.  I was thinking about switching back when Apple was neglecting Logic and couldn't bring myself to do it mostly for that reason. 

Can't say I agree on that one. What in particular?

One thing I like about Cubase is ability to see multiple automation lanes in the PRV. Hopefully Logic will implement this soon. 

I agree about the CC lanes, but the ability to adjust MIDI note velocity, length, selection, etc. was not as easy or impossible compared to Logic.  I also don't like the Pro Tools-style CC automation in Cubase.  In Logic, it's easier to get cleaner lines between automation nodes, and it's also easier to do automation curves.  

I do like that Cubase doesn't need a MIDI Environment.  I've been asking Apple forever to either modernize the Environment or do away with it completely.

I can offer this: I, too was plagued with frequent overload problems. That was with a laptop using an old, mechanical hard drive. I recently replaced the HD with an SSD. Not only did everything suddenly download at lightning speed, but I have yet to see an overload message after a month, whereas they were a constant scourge, before. There are some spinning pizzas, mostly when I am disabling and enabling the core audio. That's an Apple/Logic thing, and not really a big nuisance. 

I agree about the CC lanes, but the ability to adjust MIDI note velocity, length, selection, etc. was not as easy or impossible compared to Logic.  I also don't like the Pro Tools-style CC automation in Cubase.  In Logic, it's easier to get cleaner lines between automation nodes, and it's also easier to do automation curves.  

I do like that Cubase doesn't need a MIDI Environment.  I've been asking Apple forever to either modernize the Environment or do away with it completely.

Excellent points. I really like the little "handles" for adjusting velocities. I never thought about the Pro Tools comparison, but you are right! I can't comment on the environment, I've never delved into that territory.

Hello David, and friends on this great forum,

I would appreciate any input or suggestions on this problem I am having. I am a composer and lately my big templates are running about 75-100 tracks and software running on Kontakt, The Play engine, etc. My MacPro is a 8 core with 64G of RAM. I see that when I am composing a big project, my RAM can reach up to 57 G of loaded synths and software...all of the partitions are midi which I play on my external keyboard. Because of this, when the partitions get a little complex or towards the end of the project, I often get the "the CPU Overload message" :-(  . I have tried everything from increasing the buffer size I\O to 256 and then to 512, changing the rewiring behavior to off. Getting crackles and pops, audio cutting on and off, messages mentionning the audio is out of sync....the only thing that recently helped was to was to change the Process Buffer Range to Large. But I still see the CPU is working very hard and is close of overloading again. 

Thank you my friends, 

HI Marco, it's pretty obvious but given that you are running large sample libraries through Kontakt - have you optimised it? I find the following settings in Kontakt are a must:

1. Multiprocessor Support AU - OFF

2. CPU Overload Protection - OFF

3. Use Memory Server - OFF (if you are using any plugs through a 32 bit bridge this can help being ON - experiment with this one)

Finally Logic Processing threads should be set to AUTOMATIC and you should be seeing 16 cores in your Logic CPU meter.

Hope that is of some use.