Step Input external keyboard

dynamicalan

• 2 years later...
There is a very frustrating thing that seems to have happened with 10.4.4- or earlier, I skipped a few versions. I cannot step input with an external keyboard unless the piano roll or edit window has focus. But I can't change duration with key commands unless the step input window has key focus. Am I missing something? This COMPLETELY ruins step input work flow. I need one hand on computer keyboard other on external keyboard- I've been working this way for 20 years and I can't switch windows back and forth between each change of duration. Edited by bphelps

OK I'm very frustrated with a change that seems to have made step input with an external keyboard practically unusable... You can't change note durations with key commands unless the step input window is open and has key focus, yet you can't use the external keyboard unless the piano roll or equivalent window has focus. So you have to switch back and forth between windows between every note. This is insane.

OK minor miracle just as I was becoming very frustrated- this was fixed in version 10.4.5 that I realized had been released last month. Still have to delete / arrange a bunch of conflicting key commands but I can make step input usable again.