Score Editor - changing staff spacing for verse/chorus

tcraig

Hi all,

Two quick score editor questions.

1) I'm pretty sure this is not possible, but I'd like to be able to have different spacing between the lines of a single staff for the verse vs. the chorus. The reason being that I'm putting in three lines of lyrics in the verse, but only one in the chorus, and having enough space for three lines when there is only one in the chorus looks really dumb. 

2) I'm pretty sure this is also not possible, but is there any way to have bar numbers ignore a pickup measure? If I have a 4/4 pickup measure with a note on only the 4th beat, I like to shorten the front of the part so that only the pickup note shows up in the pickup bar, and I'd really like to have the bar numbers start with 1 on the first FULL bar.

Thanks a million

Tom

1) I'm pretty sure this is not possible, but I'd like to be able to have different spacing between the lines of a single staff for the verse vs. the chorus. The reason being that I'm putting in three lines of lyrics in the verse, but only one in the chorus, and having enough space for three lines when there is only one in the chorus looks really dumb. 

Sure it is.....

Spacing is a function of the staff style used. Split the region so that the verse and the chorus are two different regions. Assign two different staff styles to each (i.e. staff style verse_A and staff style verse_B) - then if you change the spacing on the chorus, it will not affect the verse and if you change the spacing on the verse it will not affect the chorus.  The concept to remember here is spacing if a function of the staff style. Any regions assigned the same staff style will all move together if you move one of them ( staffs). As long as you use two different staff styles - they remain independent of each other. 

2110259383_ScreenShot2017-06-18at5_27_35PM.thumb.png.df4646788351e58527d172c5f8350f5c.png

2) I'm pretty sure this is also not possible, but is there any way to have bar numbers ignore a pickup measure? If I have a 4/4 pickup measure with a note on only the 4th beat, I like to shorten the front of the part so that only the pickup note shows up in the pickup bar, and I'd really like to have the bar numbers start with 1 on the first FULL bar.

Sure it it is :)

You can either shorten it or cut the first measure prior to the pick up note(s). 

Then set your bar offset to -1, start at 1, and step is 1 ( or whatever you want) and you first full bar will be bar number 1.

2022344333_ScreenShot2017-06-18at5_39_14PM.png.a0f51e260357615636d2edb15f2d2d60.png

892716694_ScreenShot2017-06-18at5_39_49PM.thumb.png.f6317d34f336b7ed06038be8de7ec074.png

Thank you sooooo much! 

1) I thought staff styles were tied to tracks - I didn't realize that they could vary by region within a track. That makes so much sense and completely solved my problem.

2) I'm embarrassed that I didn't figure this one out for myself. I've looked that those "Numbers and Names" preferences enough time. Thanks again. This is great.

Tom

Hey Tom, just to say dont worry if you didnt figure out something really simple :) 

- it is actually incredibly useful when people just ask very basic questions no matter how long they have been using Logic. I think one of the things great about this amazing forum is you could ask  what the Spacebar does and someone would give you the answer in a level way. 

volovicg is something of a genius ( along with David N! and others)  in thoroughly understanding Logic and  being patient to explain everything from the basics upwards  - he helped me understand how Scorestyles/Staff Styles/ Score Sets work after years of messing around. 

It is quite an amazing forum this!