My Mac Was Attacked

songseeds
Go to solution Solved by songseeds,

On Sunday I was working on a mixdown when all of a sudden I began to experience random half second dropouts.  I stopped everything, and did a restart and when it restarted a message popped up from my Norton Internet Security software telling me something called fe80::1 was attempting to access Port 6427 and did I want to Block it or not.  Of course, I clicked Block but my mac has not been the same since.  Damage HAS been done.  I've spent the last 4 days reading everything I can find on the web about troubleshooting logic pro x and NOTHING has solved the problem.  

When I play a project, I get choppy playback.  If I engage input monitoring it really gets nasty and I get the "error trying to synchronize audio and MIDI" message.  

I've run disk utility to make sure the disk isn't damaged.

I've run a Full Scan to see if I have any viruses.  No.

I checked input and output from BOTH my Apogee Duet for Mac and iOS AND the Mac internal line and and out and BOTH exhibit the problem.

I have a redundant backup external drive with a 2 week old backup that I used to erase, reformat and restore both my system and data drives and THAT didn't work!

About all I can think of that I haven't done is totally zero out the computer (as though I'm going to sell it) and completely start from scratch!

Any helpful ideas would be welcome.  I'm exhausted from 4 days of beating my head against a wall with no solution in sight.

Yes, you probably have disabled an important internal routine in your computer. Norton is notorious for interfering with your computer, false flagging routines. So you probably disabled what you needed. Reboot with Norton off and try it. Millions of people work with Logic and no anti-virus successfully.

Check the norton settings too and that the block you agreed to was set, i.e. to verify that wasn't some fake norton pop-up trying to fool you.  Doubtful, but possible.

Also, in MacOS  check your Settings > Users & Groups > Login Items - And see if there's anything odd starting up when you boot.

As above, looks harmless enough, but by blocking an internal communication may have caused you harm.  As the address fe80 was stated, this could also indicate that some device you used failed on initial communication and a link local address was attempted, i.e. NAS drive/router/network etc.

you haven't told us... are other apps affected? what else is problematic? and what about other logic projects? have you tried playing the project without your audio interface (ie thru the mac's speakers)?  norton is itself garbage, and if it has an uninstaller, run that (it probably has files in places in the main library). you can download the free 'easyfind' to find all those files.  meanwhile, would help to know more...

Wow. Didn't know it was okay to run without any AV protection! It's all been working fine for 4 years until this week!

Thought I'd found it. Problem went away when I disabled my Slate plugins. Trashed them and reinstalled new ones. Problem still there!

Headed to the studio in a bit. I'll try disabling Norton and see if it clears.

To answer a few Qs:

- iTunes playback is affected.

- Other Logic projects are affected.

- Logged in as guest still a problem.

- Under Users and Groups there is a startup item called Workspace with a letter (maybe U). Not in front of the computer now. Don't know if that's normal.

- Yes the popup was Nortons. The event showed up in their Connections Blocked log. Odd thing though. I snagged a screensot of the log showing the attack but when I looked yesterday it is missing. That seems weird. I did report it to Norton. This whole thing has made me majorly paranoid!

Thank everyone for the ideas. I'll post an update soon.

The thing is, even with Norton disabled, if it has changed some settings somewhere you might have to troubleshoot that. If you are getting sync errors, disable your audio card and try the Mac outputs, and check for sample rate conflicts between Logic and any other applications. Check the Audio/Midi SetUp. Perhaps go back to default settings and a new project. 

any intrusive 'anti-virus' software is just that: intrusive. norton is bad news, and NEVER RUN mackeeper!

And the most important thing, the one thing you must never forget, no matter how much he cries, no matter how much he begs . . . never, never feed him after midnight!

(Sorry couldn't resist, you were sounding like the kid in Gremlins! lol).

And yes, Mackeeper is evil evil evil!!  Don't pet it, feed it, stroke it, watch it, just back off from it, no eye contact, backs against the wall style. :)

OP - You need to find out what the login item is for piece of mind, the only 'workspace' related item i can think of is related to Pro Tools, do you have that running?

As for AV, only run it if you're sharing files with Windows users, particularly on a professional basis as you could be accountable for passing on windows viruses unknowingly, that's the only valid reason for loading a mac up with AV in my experience.  They will clean/quarantine viruses known across multiple OS's.

any intrusive 'anti-virus' software is just that: intrusive. norton is bad news, and NEVER RUN mackeeper!

And the most important thing, the one thing you must never forget, no matter how much he cries, no matter how much he begs . . . never, never feed him after midnight!

(Sorry couldn't resist, you were sounding like the kid in Gremlins! lol).

i AM the kid in gremlins....

You can install a fresh copy of OS  (is it called 'restore'?) via internet..  This will install a new copy of your OS, No personal settings will be affected..  Everything works again.. 

Did you try logging on as a different user?..  Although a process like closing a port, probably affects all users.. 

A couple of times a year, something gets corrupted in my OS, and Logic will act weird.  I delete Logic Plists, try a  power reset, (hold down option-control-R-P)  let mac chime 7 times (does a deeper reset than 3 chimes).. if that doesn't fix things I restore OS..  good luck

• Solution

Hey all.   You really nailed it.  I did a complete uninstall of Norton (using the RemoveSymanticMacFiles utility) with the Terminal app.  I watched the utility run on the Terminal window and saw all the files/folders being deleted.  Man, they install a LOT of stuff!  

I haven't dug deep into a session yet but it appears that (as predicted) the problem has vanished.   The tests I was using to make the problem happen are all working fine now.  At the moment it doesn't appear that I will have to rebuild my system drive.  

Feeling some weight off my shoulders thanks to everyone who provided great accurate advice.  

If I could I'd change my topic title to "My Mac Was Attacked BY NORTON SECURITY!"  

Jeez, that brings me back. A friend had given me the NU disk for OS8, I think, after he got a new computer with OS9. So, I ran the install disk, and immediately, everything was screwed. IIRC, the computer wouldn't even boot properly. I ended up frisbee-ing the disk from my 8th floor balcony. NEVER. AGAIN. Sad to see their software can still bugger everything up, glad that you got it sorted.

Jeez, that brings me back. A friend had given me the NU disk for OS8, I think, after he got a new computer with OS9. So, I ran the install disk, and immediately, everything was screwed. IIRC, the computer wouldn't even boot properly. I ended up frisbee-ing the disk from my 8th floor balcony. NEVER. AGAIN. Sad to see their software can still bugger everything up, glad that you got it sorted.

dude, that was you? i remember that day... that disk hit me in the head, i was under your balcony. it hurt, so i also swore off norton then...

Don't want to swear on a public forum, but you all know what I'm thinking...

...whether fisherking IS really the kid from gremlins?  Me too.  :)

Seriously, looks like you may need to rebuild, last time i done one it took me from Friday night till Sunday to get everything how it was, including downloading updates/checking everything worked, ready for monday morning.. Bah! :-(

Was well worth doing though, my machine ran better and i re-arranged all my files and sorted out a proper backup plan (Local/Cloud), and only installed software i needed - So if you take a step like that, don't miss the opportunity to review how you store and manage everything, and you can turn it into a positive.

Man this thing is a moving target.  At the moment nothing I do makes the problem happen.  45 minutes ago it was stuttering so bad you couldn't listen.  Really bewildering!

Thanks, that's good advice.  I know there are positive upsides.  But I know there's a LOT of stuff to reinstall and put back into order that is going to take a lot of down time.  IF it doesn't kill me, it'll make me better, heh.  

dude, that was you? i remember that day... that disk hit me in the head, i was under your balcony. it hurt, so i also swore off norton then...

Explains a few things..... :mrgreen:

Explains a few things..... :mrgreen:

no, i was like this long before that happened. meanwhile, back in the real world: OP, have you tried any of my suggestions? (just curious)...

have you tried running thru your mac's speakers? ie disconnecting the audio interface... have you tried using logic in a virgin admin account?  have you run disk first aid? or considered installing the combo update for the OS? just some things to try before you start over...  https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1885?locale=en_US

Yes, I've tried the computers built-in line in and out (check OPost).

Yes, I created a new user and still had the problem,

I ran disk first aid on the data disk but my system disk is solid state.  I can't find any authoritative word via google on whether first aid works with a solid state drive so I'm hesitant to mess with it until I'm sure.

The combo update takes you to 10.11.6 and I've already got that (check my signature).

All good ideas.  

This morning it's all running smooth.  Nothing worse than intermittent "gremlins" but I'm not falling for it.  I play out live in a musical trio and we're getting ready to head out for a Sunday afternoon gig.  Tomorrow morning, the rebuild begins!  

Thanks.