ES2 Cutoff Automation help

kiipop

I'm trying to get a certain "waw" sound, but automate it with a sidechained cutoff in ES2. The only way that I'm able to get it to sound good is if I use LFO2 to automate the cutoff. How can I get that same sound with cutoff sidechain automation? Should I be using a certain type of waveform as the sidechain to get the same sound? I've tried a basic hat sample, kick sample, reversed samples, and just white noise, and none give that "crisp" wah sound that the LFO2 automation gives it. I would use LFO2 to automate the cutoff, but it never syncs up exactly the way I want. It's always off and I really have to play with the automation for it to sound good (for example, if I automate it to go from 1/16 to 1/8 to 1/8t)- is there a trick to that too? 

Right now I use the most far left terminal for the cutoff, so it looks like:

Target - Cut 1+2

Via - Sidechn

Source - Sidechn

and that's what gives me the less punchy sound that I don't want, but the cutoff starts and stops at the right time.

the other setting that sounds great but doesn't time well with automation is:

Target - Cut 1+2

Via - LFO2

Source - LFO2

is there a way to fix this? Would it help if I posted audio clips of what I meant? thank you!

The sidechain uses the volume and length of a waveform to modulate a target so for example a snare would be too fast.

When you think of a sound, sing it and think of what your mouth is doing. Your mouth works as a modulation machine, so to speak. If you are saying "wow" or "waw", those are too different sounds for example. For a "wow" maybe a filter and an LFO would work. For a "waw", I would suggest adding a bit of resonance to increase the effect of the filter.

Hope it helps! :)

The sidechain uses the volume and length of a waveform to modulate a target so for example a snare would be too fast.

When you think of a sound, sing it and think of what your mouth is doing. Your mouth works as a modulation machine, so to speak. If you are saying "wow" or "waw", those are too different sounds for example. For a "wow" maybe a filter and an LFO would work. For a "waw", I would suggest adding a bit of resonance to increase the effect of the filter.

Hope it helps! :)

I actually recorded myself making that sound, made it the sidechain trigger, upped the resonance and it sounds better. I still can't get it to sound as crisp and clean as when I use LFO2 as the trigger for cutoff though.  :?

Is that trigger, loud enough? Again, the sidechain reacts to the volume of the waveform, so the higher the volume, the more the filter opens. You wanna share your project and also maybe send an example as audio of what you're trying to achieve? Maybe that'll be easier

here is the audio of what I was able to do with a fairly loud audio of white noise as the trigger for the cutoff, compared with the type of synth sound that I'd like to create with the sidechain instead of using the LFO2 and automating it- which can sound quite sloppy.

audio of my project vs sound I want

a screenshot of what the project looks like is also attached. I hope this helps to explain myself  :)

hFGpmG

1816260861_cutoffsidechainexample.thumb.png.c4d99880a98a267be6e76dd5fe150725.png