a shortcut to switch between main window and piano roll?

rockmann413
Go to solution Solved by robinloops,

Hi there,

I don't like to use the midi edit in the lower zone of the main window, I like to use the midi editor in a separate window in a nearly full screen size. so I see a lot in main window and I see a lot in midi window.

I can set a shortcut to "cycle through windows" to switch between main window and midi editor, but if I have multiple virtual instruments windows open, it can be a problem.

However, if I click on "Windows" next to screens in the upper area, it will show the major windows open, no matter how many VI windows I have, it only show 2 windows-the main window and the piano roll window,  is there any way to use key shortcut to switch between the two?

Thank you

• Solution

If you hold shift while using the shortcut to cycle, it will cycle backwards. That way you can cycle between two open windows without cycling through all the other open windows.

For example: You have windows A, B, C, and D, open. You have A active and cycle forward to B. Then instead of cycling through C and D to get back to B, you just use the shortcut for cycle while holding the shift key and this takes you directly back to window A. In order to unify the two windows, for example A and C (without having to go through B) you just need to click on the two with the mouse (in succession) to change the cycle order. 

A second monitor (if you haven't got one) makes working with multiple windows much nicer. In this case it makes selecting with the mouse (in the order you want windows to cycle) much simpler. On a single screen you sometimes have to do some creative (shortcut) cycling and mouse selecting to get windows in the order you want...

If you hold shift while using the shortcut to cycle, it will cycle backwards. That way you can cycle between two open windows without cycling through all the other open windows.

For example: You have windows A, B, C, and D, open. You have A active and cycle forward to B. Then instead of cycling through C and D to get back to B, you just use the shortcut for cycle while holding the shift key and this takes you directly back to window A. In order to unify the two windows, for example A and C (without having to go through B) you just need to click on the two with the mouse (in succession) to change the cycle order. 

A second monitor (if you haven't got one) makes working with multiple windows much nicer. In this case it makes selecting with the mouse (in the order you want windows to cycle) much simpler. On a single screen you sometimes have to do some creative (shortcut) cycling and mouse selecting to get windows in the order you want...

Very very very very helpful ! Solver!

Thank you so much.

"...but if I have multiple virtual instruments windows open, it can be a problem."

There is a key command to "Show/Hide All Plug-In Windows." The default is V. So, as an alternative to counter-clockwise cycling, you could hit "V" and then you'd only have Main and Piano Roll remaining for the usual round-robin cycle. When you need the plug-ins again, hit V and they leap back into view.