(Solved) Doubling a track recorded on a figure 8 mic

Makzimia

Hi All,

I bought a figure 8 mic some months ago now. Recording M/S with it and a forward facing mic also. I have seen a few detailed videos on how to use the result. Using the figure 8 recording is then cloned to another track then placing a gain plugin and reversing the polarity on the new track, panning hard left and hard right respectively. Here's the thing though, if I do that, it's causing the correlation meter to go all the way to minus at worst and mostly fluctuating back and forth. If I just leave the phase switch off, it's all the way to plus. 

Now, listening to the tracks, with the phase switch on, it's a MUCH bigger sound, BUT, because it's now all the way to minus a lot, I know that usually means a phase issue, or does it?. I am somewhat confused still on this, as I followed everything to the letter, but I get this. 

Thanks,

Tony

Using the figure 8 recording is then cloned to another track then placing a gain plugin and reversing the polarity on the new track, panning hard left and hard right respectively. 

You need to sum this with the mid microphone:

Left = Mid + Sides

Right = Mid - Sides

If your resulting image is too out of phase then you can add more mid, which renders the signal closer to a mono (phase = 1) signal. But the wider a stereo signal is, the more its sides will be out of phase. 

If you double a track, don't flip the phase or otherwise process the double, pan one left and the other right, and sum them, you've achieved... nothing at all: the result is the same as the same single track panned center: the same amount of identical signal delivered to both L and R speakers. 

David thank you. I have as you say above. I think what may be is me watching the correlation with only the side tracks soled. I’ll watch again with the mid mic turned up more... I blame my lack of concentration on this.. I thought I had it nailed before.

Appreciate it :). I’ll update when I check.

Ton

Archived