Can I use Logic Pro X on both IMac and MacBook Pro?

billbates

Hi. I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro and looking at getting an IMac.. 

I am hoping to record in my studio on the iMac but also want to be able to log in to Logic on the MacBook Pro and record Live gigs.

Can I use the same licence to do this, please?

If anyone would recommend what iMac to get that would be a bonus.

Cheers for your support

Bill

Yes you can.

What kind of productions do you do?

The i7 processor provides more parallel CPU power due to hyper threading.

The small fusion drive (1TB) is not worth it. Choose an SSD or a bigger fusion drive.

Good advice about the SSD drive, i would avoid the Fusion drive completely no matter how big it is, Flash storage is best for audio production.

Thanks for your advice – it is very much appreciated.

I do a lot of voice-overs, hypnotherapist /relaxation recordings - but also record singer-songwriters with acoustic guitar(s) and vocal – often with (midi) piano accompaniment. Never drums. If recording live it would be up to 2 acoustic guitars and vox. 

i7 it will be then.I will have to delve a bit deeper into the iMac spec before spending my hard earnt cash.

Thanks for your advice – it is very much appreciated.

I do a lot of voice-overs, hypnotherapist /relaxation recordings - but also record singer-songwriters with acoustic guitar(s) and vocal – often with (midi) piano accompaniment. Never drums. If recording live it would be up to 2 acoustic guitars and vox. 

i7 it will be then.I will have to delve a bit deeper into the iMac spec before spending my hard earnt cash.

If your production are mostly a few audio tracks and software instruments without a lot of heavy plug-ins an i5 will do just fine.

SSD's are more expensive/amount of storage but they are very fast.

The fusion drive is a hybrid consisting of a smaller solid state PCI based solution in conjunction with a spinning SATA drive.

It's a great middle on the road solution with much more space at a lower cost.

I'm pretty happy with my 1TB Fusion drive. But I only use it for the OS and apps. I record to a SSD thru Thunderbolt. 

The 1TB Fusion Drive pairs a 1TB hard drive with 24GB of fast flash — enough to store important OS X files and applications to ensure fast startup, near instant wake from sleep and quick application launching, with room left over for your most frequently used files and apps. The 2TB and 3TB Fusion Drives pair a larger hard drive with 128GB of fast flash storage, providing even more space for your most frequently used files. For the best performance, iMac systems with 32GB of memory should be configured with a 2TB or larger Fusion Drive or all flash storage.

Archived