Mapping CC11 independently

ZJKmusic

Hello, 

I've been searching all around for how to use/write CC11 MIDI information in real time while recording independently of CC1.  

For instance, I would like to play and hold a note increase CC1 to a value, hold CC1 at the value while I continue to change CC11 using controls on my MIDI controller.  

I see a lot of mapping them to be redundant to one another via the environment window but I haven't found something where I can assign the different CC's (I'd also like to do this to CC7 as well) to my different knobs and faders on my controller.  Maybe this has already been covered, in which case I don't know the terminology to find it.  

Any help would be much appreciated.  My work-flow begs of you. 

-zjk

I can't seem to find how to program the controller to send a specific signal.  Right now the controller sends the fader signal via CC41 (there are 8 different faders, each sending on it's own channel from 41-49, the master fader sends via CC7).  

I've been able to delete the default settings and set up a handful of buttons.  I sorted through what appeared to be the possible controller setups for manipulating MIDI in realtime but nothing would write the automation.  I found a variety of what looked like MIDI automation options but none of them actually functioned when I selected them and test recorded.  

Could you possibly take a quick screenshot of what the settings should look like in setup?  Or give me a quick walkthrough?

I've also tried to sort this out through the environment window by routing the physical input to a transformer to change the incoming signals to a different channel, however, it would only let me select channels 1-16 so I was unable to select CC41 which is where the source information would be coming from to transform. 

What am I missing here?  

"I can't seem to find how to program the controller to send a specific signal. "

That is the heart of the matter. If you tell the forum what controller you're using, someone who knows your equipment might help you program it. 

"....it would only let me select channels 1-16 so I was unable to select CC41 which is where the source information would be coming from to transform." 

You're confusing CC's (continuous controllers 0-127) with MIDI channels (1-16). I admire your courage, diving into transforms and Environment, and yes, you could intercept CC 41 and transform it to CC 11... but it's only needed if your controller is absolutely hard-wired to NOT send CC 11, and that would be one unusual controller. 

I'm using a Novation LaunchKey 49.  Their site said to use the Mackie HUI/HUI install for a control map, but those controls weren't particularly useful for me or what I do, so I'm really starting from a blank slate and creating my own setup for controls.  I was able to successfully program record, cycle, play, stop, and things of that sort.  Nothing else really worked beyond that (although the MOD wheel still functions as CC1 and the Master Fader still functions on CC7 - those didn't need to be programmed).  Hopefully, that triggers some ideas of what needs to happen to make this work. 

Okay so, CC means it has a 0-127 range.  But how is that different from a MIDI channel then?  Is it that each MIDI channel has it's own CCs?  (i.e. MIDI channel 4 has a CC41, and MIDI channel 12 has it own CC41?)   Do I have that right?  

And if that is the case, do I assume that basically everything I'm doing defaults to MIDI channel 1 - so MIDI channel 1 would be what I would need to intercept with the transformer?  Or do different items default to different MIDI channels with Logic without my knowledge?   

I just read over the manual. Remarkably, I think that controller's first fader is hard-wired to CC 41. Answer the simplest question around here, and you wind up learning yourself. I can't tell if Novation has its own programming software (like a Korg NanoPad, for example). But yeah, it's best to transform in Logic if the fader can't be programmed. 

Follow these settings for a transformer. This will intercept all MIDI CC 41 messages and convert them to CC 11, no matter what channel they are on. When a transformer is placed before Sequencer Input, nothing reaches Logic before it's transformed. 

442770016_CC41toCC11.png.561ea8874892a878ba205fa276b72750.png

All MIDI data has its own channel, from 1 to 16. Notes, CC's, pitch bends -- everything has a channel. I can't say that there's a default to channel 1... I guess most stuff comes out of the box set to 1, but if MIDI had a mind, it would have no preference. 

Here's an illustrative point: see where the transformer says Channel: All in the top and Thru in the bottom?  If you set to top to 4, the transformer would only work if your Novation was sending on Channel 4. Okay, set it back to All. Now set the bottom Channel from Thru to 4. Now no matter what channel Novation sends, every CC41 will hit Logic's sequencer as CC11, Channel FOUR. 

BEAUTIFUL!  Thank you so much!  

Now, if I wanted to continue on down the line and send each fader to a different CC.  Is the best way to do that by just having the transformers all cabled together in a line until it reaches the sequencer input?  

Also, is there a place that will give a quick rundown of each of the options in the transformer drop down list?  I'd like to understand what I've just done a little more rather than just memorizing which magical word goes in which menu.  

Thanks, literally a million.  Actually a million.  This is one-million thank-yous. 

-zjk

A million "you're welcomes."

To your first question, yes, in my opinion. Environment is a labyrinth, a shape-shifter, an amorphous beast. As such, there's innumerable ways to configure it. But the kind of universal transforming you describe is best done in a serial cabling before anything hits the Sequencer. It's like putting a funnel (transformer) right at the spigot (MIDI Input) before it reaches the bucket (sequencer). 

Implicit in your question is the idea -- which is true -- that a transformer can only do one thing at a time, hence the serial cabling of numerous transformers (there are exceptions, but let's keep this direct).  

Two points of caution.  Logic may have a limit to serial objects.  I have seen MIDI data not reach the next object after a comparatively short chain. 

Also, be sure to set the Operation to the Mode indicated in the picture. There are other settings that will stop other MIDI data from being passed along. 

I encourage you to keep these transformers as simple as possible, set them, and get on to music-making. Environment is a rabbit hole. 

There are no drop-down menus, because a Transformer only understands numbers. Here's the deal: MIDI has conventions, like Expression at CC11, Volume at CC7, etc. Those are written in clay, not stone, and MIDI is oblivious to them. What CC's actually accomplish depends on the track and the instrument settings. The receiver (track instrument) INTERPRETS the message (MIDI data).  So, there can be no drop-down menus in Transformer. 

You do get general labels and drop-downs in Event List and elsewhere.  

Now, if I wanted to continue on down the line and send each fader to a different CC.  Is the best way to do that by just having the transformers all cabled together in a line until it reaches the sequencer input?  

IMO the "cleanest" way to do that would be with a single transformer mapping all your incoming CCs to the desired CCs. Here's one where I started mapping CC 41 to CC 11:

transfo.png.d5d5513fc9d45609a832716b3cab38db.png

Also, is there a place that will give a quick rundown of each of the options in the transformer drop down list? 

Yes, all the entries in the Mode pop-up menu are described in the manual: Configure a transformer object