Updating to Logic Pro X before updating from OS X

leibyaacov

I want to upgrade from Logic Pro 8.0.2 [Yes! I've been living in the past!] to Logic Pro X 10.3.  Is that possible, or must I start from scratch?  I am currently using Mac OS X 10.8.5 and if possible will upgrade to Mac OS Sierra or OS X Capitan.  How do I start this process and go to the system that will best serve Logic?  Will I be able to retrieve all the work I have done on the old Logic?  Thanks.

To upgrade from LP8 to LPX most recent version you have to first update OSX to at least El Capitan, which likely will render LP8 unusable on that recent OS. If you wish to keep both LP8 and LPX on the same computer, you would have to run two different OS using VMWare or similar; although I have no experience in that regard, and to be honest, I doubt that would go smoothly. You might need to also upgrade your Mac to meet LPX system requirement.

Probably the most realistic approach would be to move on to LPX, after saving all your LP8 projects to a backup drive, in order to load them into LPX which will convert them to that new version. Once converted to LPX, a project is not retrocompatible, so it is highly advisable to keep your LP8 version projects.

Considering the above, if you are working on a project for a client, it would be better to finish it on LP8. LPX has its learning curve too.

Archived