Ipad Pro 12.9"

GCritchley

HI

I'm considering getting an ipad pro, 12.9" and need some other reasons to buy it. My main reason would be for importing and reading drum charts for gigs. other than that, I'm wondering how it can help with Logic workflow - for example, if I use it as a second screen for Logic (or a third, since I have two), can I control logic with touch, like a slate raven? Or is the logic remote worth using? (I''m pretty quick with my TB Mouse.)

It might be that it won't be much use with logic, and that's ok too. I suppose I could use it with remote to track drums from behind the kit, but I can already do that with my macbook pro and share screen.

thoughts? If you had to talk me into it, what would you say ?:)

I've found using an iPad as a secondary screen through Duet (or similar apps) for reference is okay (i.e Finder windows, movie window when scoring, compositional notes etc), particularly when touring, as I'm accustomed to multiscreen setup from studio work. But I've not found iPad-as-secondary-screen usable for active editing or interaction, something about latency and "wrongess". But it is a great benefit of having an iPad, when you need this.

What I *do* find iPads invaluable for though, is the use as optimized, dynamic control surface, both in studio (Logic) and on stage (Live), in my case I build and adapt them myself to specific projects (Lemur), but I can imagine for by-the-book studio use, Logic Remote will instantly be great. So this is I think for me the main "productive" reason for iPad.

And as a producer/sound designer/performer, I love to explore and learn the the palette of options for sound design and interaction with new sound and music apps, it really is a new world and way of approaching interaction with sound and music, especially gestures and multitouch manipulation of sound and synthesis in realtime, can make for really expressive instruments. This is a very new field and it's super interesting to see how its evolving. That's maybe the most exciting (but not necessarily productive) reason for having an iPad. Its great for inspiration and exploration. So its not directly connected to Logic (which you ask about) but this is of benefit to the kind of work we do WITH Logic as producers; create interesting music.  

I echo Kiotozane's post above.  Logic Remote/Lemur etc. are wonderful as they get as close as you can to something similar to what a hardware desk gives you (i.e. Mackie etc.) - not everyone makes use of this though, as the mouse/trackpad/keyboard shortcuts are great tools in themselves.  

I'm one of the few that does like to work with a control surface however, so i use an old mackie in studio area, and logic remote on my MBP.  The Mackie is far better, mainly as i can use it blind - but the Logic Remote really does help with workspace if you're running on a MBP (And saves on heating in my studio as i can sit indoors lol).

Also, with the Logic Remote/Lemur/Other - if you've got instruments dotted around the studio or a dedicated drum/vocal booth - it's really nice to have a remote pad like that for cueing recordings, undoing takes, punching in/out so you haven't got to keep getting up and having silly 4 bar count-ins etc.  It's also really good for setting mic levels if you're amping up as you can set the levels while being on the floor/bent over a wall etc.

For me, that's the biggest benefit, But using it  when you're set at the desk with keyboard and mouse in front of you (And two screens already?)- Mmm, not so much of use, personally.

And as above, the specific iOS audio apps available do offer some really unique tools.  The iPad by itself can chain instruments and effects that run as background tasks either controlled via midi or onscreen pads - and some sound fantastic!

Second screen i've had to use when desperate, and also as above, the latency and depreciation in resolution/image quality just doesn't feel right if you're doing detailed work, it becomes very fatiguing after a while and definitely has a certain wrongness to it.  However, i've not tried on a 12.9" iPad, whether that's worse or not i don't know.

it's maybe worth pointing out that all these can be achieved with standard iPads, so the pro? Well, i don't think i could justify spending the additional for those reasons alone, as the screen size is pretty well optimised already for the smaller models.

'If' i got one it would be as a sketchpad, i'd lose hours drawing/coluring/designing with the apple pencil - if that excites you or is part of the purchase, then man just get one for that and the audio is a bonus! :)

There are actually apps available to make it work as a second monitor.

This is a widely used one:

Duet Display - Ex-Apple Engineers Turn Your iPad Into An Extra Display

I use it, bought it when it was on sale. Works good (not amazing), cpu usage on a quad-core is not that bad, it gets progressively worse as you up resolution, FPS, or quality.

For hands on, Logic Remote is better, and then there's Lemur/TouchOSC, V-control. Just works faster