Export vs. Bounce

drakepeterdrake

I have an unusual workflow in that I do most of my recording in Studio Vision Pro. If I need to have a track processed by Melodyne, I export it from SVP, import it to Logic, and process it. Works great every time. My problem is getting the processed track back into SVP. If I EXPORT the track or selection, it does so quickly, and then I import it into SVP. There's a nice waveform, etc., but it will not generate sound. If I BOUNCE the track instead, I get a stereo interleaved waveform, which plays back fine, even if I assign it to a mono audio voice in SVP. The bouncing takes much longer than the exporting. In both instances I'm careful to keep the plugins active, etc. If I try a bounce with a split stereo waveform, I get 2 nice-looking mono tracks, neither of which will make sound. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P

Thanks for the answer. Is there a way to bounce mono files so that they appear as mono files, not as interleaved stereo with one side blank? When I tried bouncing in "split" mode for the AIFF file, it generated left and right files separately, with the left file showing a waveform, and the right file being blank. However, here's the weird part: neither of the files would play back. Only when I bounce as an interleaved stereo file does a mono signal play back. If I could get a mono bounce it would be great, s the waveform is bigger and easier to edit. Thanks again.

I made a workaround for this. If I bounce in split stereo mode, then import only the left-hand track which shows the waveform, THEN, in SVP, mix-to-disk as a mono aiff file, it plays back fine. SVP seems to have a hard time recognizing the split file, even though it's properly labelled .aif or .aiff .

Have you ever used the region bounce in place option?

If the original track is mono and all the plugins are mono, the resulting bounced file is mono. Piece of cake.

Hi, I've been experimenting. I'm not bouncing in place, rather to a folder that I can access on my other Mac, on which SVP is installed. I have found that if I export the selection (It's all one continuous file) it does so very quickly, with the melodyne processing and plays back fine in SVP with no problems. The cool thing I found was that if I bounce the track to the other folder, with split stereo engaged, it now creates 2 files: 1 with the melodyne processing and 1 without, labelled l and r.aiff. If I import them both into SVP, then mix them to disk in svp as mono files, they play back, and I can have both the raw and processed files. I can even observe the latency that Melodyne imparts to the signal when it processes it. The bouncing is much slower than exporting, and when I line the processed bounced file up with the processed exported file, they are identical visually and sonically. Bear in mind all this lunacy is because I want to take files from Logic and use them in SVP.

Bear in mind all this lunacy is because I want to take files from Logic and use them in SVP.

Exactly my point.

You can bounce a region in place or a track in place (creates one continuous file). The resulting file you can just grab from Logic's audio folder and use it in SVP.

The bounce in place dialogue also gives you the option to include plugins, panning and automation depending if it's mono or stereo.

You're right, it does, which is very cool. It's interesting how much faster bouncing in place is than bouncing to another folder. I do find, however, that when I import the bounce-in-place file into SVP, it must again be mixed to disk in SVP as a mono file. This is just SVP weirdness. The exported files play back in SVP with no need to mix them again.

Archived