SCORE: Getting rid of double bars and such

DanRad

The only way to do remove double barlines and repeat signs is to use the Eraser Tool in the score editor.

NOTE:  this has (inexplicably) become exceedingly difficult to do in 10.3.2 when working in Page View. You'll be better off deleting them in Linear View.

Hitting a time signature with the Eraser Tool prevents them from being displayed in printouts of your score. It does not delete them. So to delete a time signature, double-click on it and I believe you'll see an option to delete them. A much easier way, however, is to open the Global Tracks, display time signatures, and delete them from there.

(Side note:  I can't believe I beat Greg to the punch in replying to a score editor post. Chalk one up for ol' Ski!)

OMG!!!- I missed it.... I lower my head in shame....

Plowman - that works and hides automatic or manually entered barlines. But I suspect in the context of how Dan is asking the question is that he wants to either start over or use a template or redo a section or has added or deleted measures with it affecting the global signature objects; thus asking about deleting them..... Ski hit it on the head - in using the signature tab of the event list.... Deleting them here will delete them from the score - even if they are not within a region.... So this is the catch all way to do it, always works and works regardless of where the information is in the song...

1552470462_deleteglobal.gif.7497562948d4e68e4f938c46c7ea6363.gif

'Zactly.  The "Signature List" is what I wanted.  Opening the event list did not work for me. In the "Window" menu, there is a choice for event list (on which I couldn't find the signature list) and a choice for "Signature List" which gave me what I want. They look very different than what I see on the above post.  (see below) How do I open the one shown above?

My event list

632465558_ScreenShot2017-11-02at8_53_25PM.png.c57b2320d9c06263dca86ad534e3ed7b.png

Two ways....

From the main window - press D to open the list editor embedded window. This window provides for tabs (Event, Marker, Tempo, and Signature)  - click on the signature tab and you are there.

another way....

The event list window you are looking at is a floating dedicated event list window - you likely opened with a key command or command 7.

There is a dedicated key command for opening just the signature list window tab directly in the list editor window and can be found in the key command window ( which by default is unassigned).

893349731_ScreenShot2017-11-03at8_27_55AM.png.21732fbd18a3b6a94c24e505dc3ede87.png

Hey Dan-the-man, Plowman, and Volvoman!

I didn't know that double bars 'n' such appear in the Signature List! Great info, thanks Volvoman!

I suggested deleting time signatures in the Global Tracks, but apparently you can also do it in the Signature List too.

Dan, the reason you don't (and wouldn't) see signatures and barlines listed in the everyday Event List is because:

• Barlines and time signatures are Global events and not region-specific. So it doesn't matter which part (that is, which MIDI region) you might be viewing in the score editor when you enter a repeat sign or change of time signature. When you enter them, they'll only appear as "events" so to speak in the Signature List.

• On the other hand, when you add a staccato to a note or add a hairpin or slur, those things are specific to the MIDI region you're entering them in. So some of those things will indeed appear in the Event List. Some, but not all... Markups such as hairpins, slurs, and text appear in the event list for a region because adding them to the score generates associated "Meta Events" specific to that region. But staccato, accents, and other symbols that attach directly to notes will never show up as separate events (except under special circumstances, but I won't go into that now). "Please to study the following diagram". Here only the slur and the hairpin appear as Meta Events.

things.png.74ec9a10a5658f3c8adf82a7c9ff9350.png

Ski, you ignorant slut. I've been starting my sequences prior to Measure one for over 20 years and even though the world is going to hell in a hand basket, I don't think this is the cause. (Or maybe it is... but I'm not changing!)

Glad to have found the signature list as that solves at least one of my myriad of problems. Now, if I could just program this VHS recorder and stop the incessant 12:00 from blinking...now where's that manual...ah, here it is, with the white-out***

***invented by Mike Nesmith's mom...True fact!

Archived