Logic more expensive in mac store?

Mikael Fahre

Hi,

I´m about to buy Logic pro X for the first time (just bought myself a macbook air because of it), but I keep seeing different prices. Whenever I´m on a windows or android device, apple.com states that Logic pro X costs $199.99, but when I´m on my new mac, the price is still the same, but the "buy" button is changes to "view in mac store". When I enter the mac store, the price is suddenly change to $319.99! What....?

Can somebody please explain this madness to me? And would it work to buy the license with a windows device, for $199.99?

Sincerly

Me

I'm in Norway. I found a Norwegian apple site as well, but it only offered a pack of 5 different apps (one of them being Logic) for 270 USD

Being in Norway explains why you're not seeing the US price. Each country has its own pricing. I'm not sure if you can switch the country of the Mac App Store?

I would be wary of that bundle... AFAIK only Apple can sell Logic, and the only way to purchase it is through the App Store.

I'm in Norway. I found a Norwegian apple site as well, but it only offered a pack of 5 different apps (one of them being Logic) for 270 USD

That's not buying it from Apple. Red flag. Avoid.

Buying it from the App Store app, with your country setting correct, is the only way to legitimately buy Logic, following all your country's consumer sales and tax laws.

This strikes me as an amazing deal since it includes Final Cut Pro, and MainStage into the bargain.

It's a great deal. Here's the U.S. pro apps bundle: https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/BMGE2Z/A/pro-apps-bundle-for-education

You're not buying the same license though, I believe there are limitations to educational licenses. The only limitation I saw on their site was "Available to current and newly accepted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and homeschool teachers of all grade levels.*" – I'm not sure wether this is the only limitation or if there are others (such as for example not being allowed to use the software to produce content that you're going to sell) or not, but it's worth looking into it.

Here's the Educational Apple Store: https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop

This strikes me as an amazing deal since it includes Final Cut Pro, and MainStage into the bargain.

It's a great deal. Here's the U.S. pro apps bundle: https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/product/BMGE2Z/A/pro-apps-bundle-for-education

You're not buying the same license though, I believe there are limitations to educational licenses. The only limitation I saw on their site was "Available to current and newly accepted college students and their parents, as well as faculty, staff, and homeschool teachers of all grade levels.*" – I'm not sure wether this is the only limitation or if there are others (such as for example not being allowed to use the software to produce content that you're going to sell) or not, but it's worth looking into it.

Thanks for the apple links. Other than the limitation on who qualifies for the Education Bundle I don't see any indication that the programs included are reduced or simplified versions. Given that Final Cut Pro alone currently sells for $399.00 this is a spectacular package, unless of course your conjecture about commercial usage turns out to be correct.

Thanks for the apple links. Other than the limitation on who qualifies for the Education Bundle I don't see any indication that the programs included are reduced or simplified versions. Given that Final Cut Pro alone currently sells for $399.00 this is a spectacular package, unless of course your conjecture about commercial usage turns out to be correct.

FCPX is $300, not $400...

FCPX is $300, not $400...

Actually $399.99 in my Apple store. I rounded up (lol). This may already be CAD. Yes, CAD for sure. I double-checked.

I still find that Logic costs more if I enter apple.com with the Norwegian domain though. It costs 2190 norwegian kroners wich transelates into $270 compared to the $199 you would see on the US apple.com, but maybe that's just $70 of tax money.

Yes, that's normal, prices are not the same in different countries, just like Mac computers cost more in Europe than they do in the U.S. for example.