Plug-in Delay Compensation broken with external side-chain

lagerfeldt

I've been using logic for over 10 years now. I'm afraid that it's time for me to move on...

I understand your frustrations and you're well within your rights to move on.

Check out Waves Studio Rack. It's a free plugin that in itself has Waves' S1 Imager plugin built-in for each band/instance and is a wicked good parallel & serial plug-in "rack", if you will. https://www.waves.com/plugins/studiorack#introducing-the-new-studiorack-plugin-chainer

Ville Virtanen / Darude

Producer / Artist / DJ

Spotify - YouTube

LP 10.7.2, macOS 11.6.1 2018 MBP 15" 2.9GHz i9, 32Gb, MOTU 1248

2. No support for any sort of rack style plugin packs like abelton. This is super helpful for parallel processing audio within a plugin chain and having simultaneous wet/dry control. Logic is at a huge disadvantage here.

Not sure to understand what you mean here… Line6, NI, IK, racks works just fine here…

3. Can't have a single instance of a midi effect (like an LFO) sharing multiple destinations.
Have you tried using IAC loop?

I could go on :(
Logic isn’t perfect, but no DAW is either. Every DAW has its flaws and pitfals. Good luck anyway on your journey!

LogicPro 10.7.4, MainStage 3.6,
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6, MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.16.1,
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII, Several vintage gear
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc..., PC, iPadPro 5th gen 12.9”(Duet D., V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL),

2. No support for any sort of rack style plugin packs like abelton. This is super helpful for parallel processing audio within a plugin chain and having simultaneous wet/dry control. Logic is at a huge disadvantage here.

Not sure to understand what you mean here… Line6, NI, IK, racks works just fine here…

More and more DAWs now have re-usable built-in effects racks you can build with splitting, routing, assignable macros and stuff like that. If all you're accustomed to are Smart Controls, Channel Strips, and The Environment it may feel like you already have it, but in Bitwig/Ableton/Studio One it's more comparable to something like Kilohearts Snap Heap, built into the DAW. And in those you can save a rack like "Parallel Saturation Effects" and drop it into a slot like a normal effect; it will have its own custom knobs etc. https://rekkerd.org/sample-magic-ableton-magic-racks-mix-essentials/

I'm not sure why that belongs in this thread, however. Has anyone heard back from Apple about the 10.6.2 - 10.7.3 issue they introduced? I sent a few detailed and clear reports and didn't even get a reply.

As you mentioned, to me, this looks pretty much like Smart Control presets' like implementation into commercial 3rd party products...

LogicPro 10.7.4, MainStage 3.6,
MBPro 17", Core2Duo, 8G, OSX 10.12.6, MacPro, Xeon 6Cores, 64GB, OSX 10.16.1,
ULN8, MOTU MIDI TP-AV, C4, MCU Pro, KorgNano, Novation SLMkII, Several vintage gear
AAS, NI, Celemony, Spectrasonics, Korg, Arturia, etc..., PC, iPadPro 5th gen 12.9”(Duet D., V-Control & LogicRemote), AtariST(Notator SL),

More and more DAWs now have re-usable built-in effects racks you can build with splitting, routing, assignable macros and stuff like that.

Here's an existing new feature suggestion on this topic where you could add your voice and suggest specific features such as splitting, routing and macros:

"Plugin Stack" feature. Who wants this?

My new Logic Pro Book is out!

More and more DAWs now have re-usable built-in effects racks you can build with splitting, routing, assignable macros and stuff like that.

Here's an existing new feature suggestion on this topic where you could add your voice and suggest specific features such as splitting, routing and macros:

"Plugin Stack" feature. Who wants this?

Nice. Just copy Ableton here, their layout is perfect, couldn't be quicker or easier.

16" 2019 Macbook Pro, 32gigs RAM, Logic 5.whatever's newest

• 2 weeks later...

I'm loving the fixed behavior. I can finally sidechain correctly. I'm working on the coolest sounding track I've ever made right now, that wouldn't have been possible in Logic until now.

It kinda pisses me off, because for years I thought the issue was my engineering skills, couldn't figure out why I couldn't get stuff dialed in the way others were. Got caught thinking it was some elusive trick or skill. Nope, just a defective DAW.

I had no idea about the sidechain latency issues until the last few years. Now that they're fixed, and things are easily dialed in and sounding great, I'm a mix of elated to finally know what my issue has been, and absolutely pissed at Apple and Logic for wasting a countless amount of my time.

Fortunately most of what I've done the past 10 years is 4 on the floor, so Xfer's LFO did the trick, but every time I veered away from that I could never dial in the sidechain right, and could never catch the feel I was going for.

Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly is "fixed" now? For me it was not so much a problem with incorrect timing when using sidechain (eg. these pumping compressors, no timing problems with these), but latency introduced when playing notes (eg. recording midi events via playing my keyboard). Since about a year I have to either switch on the low-latency mode or remove all sidechain inputs if I wanted to have low enough latency to record my playing properly (that is without noticeable delay). I suppose this has not been fixed, or has it? The last time I tested this is about 2 weeks ago and the problem was still there ... :-(

Logic Pro X 10.7.3 + OS X 12.3.1

MacBook Pro 16'' 2021 M1 Max

Apogee Quartet, Apollo Twin MkII, Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2

http://www.charliemclight.com/en/home.html

http://www.facebook.com/charliemclight

http://www.instagram.com/mclight

Forgive my ignorance - but what exactly is "fixed" now?

The sidechain timing used to fall off when applied to busses if the project got past a certain point of tracks/busses. That's working now, bus away and the sidechaining remains locked in as it should.

When I’m sidechaining some channels with Logic 10.7.3 compressor I get timing unsynced percussions onto other channels with Logic Sampler. It’s a nightmare!

iMac Pro 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W 32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB - macos Big Sur