insert latency inducing plugin “Linear Phase EQ” into “aux 1”

route “aux 1” over “bus 2” to “aux 2”

route track “audio 2” over “bus 3” to “aux 3”

insert plugin “Compressor” to “aux 3”

change side chain of the compressor to “bus 2”

put a identical drum-loop on both tracks

result:

audio 1 <-> audio 2 are NOT in sync

It would've been better if instead of all those new additions in 10..5 they had just fixed this issue and included all the new goodies in a later update. This is a long standing problem and as far as I am concerned as long as it exists Logic should not have the word Pro in its title. Garageband Plus would be more apt. I am off to submit this bug again and I suggest that everyone here does the same.

Alan.

Was just about to ask if the bug is still present in 10.5, I'm shocked and also not shocked. Its unacceptable this still exists, Logic shouldn't be taken seriously as a professional software with issues like this still present. As many people as possible should report this bug to Apple using the link above. I just submitted mine.

yeah this is the automation bug.

Damn. Did not know it. I was not using Logic for so long other than infrequent small basic stuff .(Been on Studio one since the release)But got really excited with this update finally having the new sampler and all that but this is serious. Are there any workarounds?

yeah this is the automation bug.

Damn. Did not know it. I was not using Logic for so long other than infrequent small basic stuff .(Been on Studio one since the release)But got really excited with this update finally having the new sampler and all that but this is serious. Are there any workarounds?

offset automation by total latency on the strip

Thanks

Thank You

Hi, would you be able to explain in greater detail what you mean by offsetting the automation by the total latency and how you do it? Thanks

Hi, would you be able to explain in greater detail what you mean by offsetting the automation by the total latency and how you do it? Thanks

however over plugins to see how much latency is reported, grab and drag backward for that amount

This still hasn't been fixed. I'm considering making a Youtube video highlighting this problem and telling people to use cubase. hopefully that will get them moving?!

I know Logic users that don't believe this issue exists.. but I think a video would motivate them to send feedback to apple.

It seems that Apple/Logic are simply unable to fix this bug. Whatever is causing it they must find that if you fix one thing it breaks another and so the only option is to ignore it and hope most people never notice. It has been talked about as a critical bug for years now, they fixed hundreds of issues with 10.5 and not this. So that seems to be that.

I tried it out again last night automating High Pass EQ cutoffs in time with 1/8th notes. Works fine but then put a high latency plug on the same channel strip after the EQ and the automation goes out of time.

I know Logic devs must be under NDAs but surely someone must be able to get someone to comment off the record about this? Do they work from Area 51? :D

Edited by ted_manzie

NOT FIXED in 10.5!!! I'm speechless.

"Logic side-chain bug"

create track “audio 1”

create track “audio 2”

route track “audio 1” over “bus 1” to “aux 1”

insert latency inducing plugin “Linear Phase EQ” into “aux 1”

route “aux 1” over “bus 2” to “aux 2”

route track “audio 2” over “bus 3” to “aux 3”

insert plugin “Compressor” to “aux 3”

change side chain of the compressor to “bus 2”

put a identical drum-loop on both tracks

result:

audio 1 <-> audio 2 are NOT in sync

Hello logness and everyone trying to get to the bottom of this horrendous issue. I'd just like to say that I've also submitted a report to Apple including the threads and videos from this site along with the fact that PDC also doesn't work for me in Logic 10.4.8.

I can see that this is a very complex problem and I'm just trying to understand it properly. As a work around in your example logness, can a sample delay be used on audio track 2 to delay the audio on that track by the same amount the audio has been delayed by the linear phase EQ on Aux 1?

It is probably not possible with the current audio engine. Otherwise makes no sense for them not to fix it with 10.5 which has tons of fixes.

Perhaps not, but if that’s the case then Apple shouldn’t state that Logic applies plug-in delay compensation to the playhead in their release notes. There is no excuse, especially when other DAW manufacturers can make it work in their products. If this is an oversight, it sure is one big oversight! What’s going on Apple? Would really appreciate it if someone over there could perhaps chime in or at least enlighten us on the current situation. If not, I too will be moving to Cubase.

It is probably not possible with the current audio engine. Otherwise makes no sense for them not to fix it with 10.5 which has tons of fixes.

Perhaps not, but if that’s the case then Apple shouldn’t state that Logic applies plug-in delay compensation to the playhead in their release notes. There is no excuse, especially when other DAW manufacturers can make it work in their products. If this is an oversight, it sure is one big oversight! What’s going on Apple? Would really appreciate it if someone over there could perhaps chime in or at least enlighten us on the current situation. If not, I too will be moving to Cubase.

Right. I totally agree. Cubase has a solid audio engine and great PDC. Best one around I think.

I am just guessing because a lot of audio engine related things are not changed.

For example still no 32bit. Not that I need it but people work with it and when you get files they get converted to 24bit. Also for some reason lots of sample packs started to become 32bit and Logic can not audition them within the browser.

There is still laggy behavior when browsing loops.

Regions keep cycling for 1-2 seconds although you turn off it right at the end. Same thing with region solo on/off

Sampler does not have HQ interpolation option

Core Audio resets and reload every plugin in the session after changing buffer. Etc.

Things like these makes me think that they are all related to an old audio engine.

Maybe we will see these taken care of with V11

Hi guys,

I have recently found out about this bug and I'm trying to understand how it will affect my projects

I have tried to recreate the issues with latency when using an external sidechain :

I'm using es2 as a bass on track 1 with fabfilter c2 compressor on the channel. I am then compressing the es2 using an external side chain from an ultrabeat kick on track 2

I am not seeing any noticeable latency as was clearly evident in the snare hits in the video by PDJMDS (thanks for the video explaining this issue by the way). The bass seems to be compressed in time with when the kick hits

What am I missing?

I'm on Logic 10.4.0

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Still no fix for the completely messed up Plug-in delay compensation in Logic Pro X 10.5.1

All Logic Pro X 10.5 users please do report this issue:

Just take 2 minutes and send a bug report to Apple about the missing plug-in delay compensation for automation, side chain signals and beat synced plug-ins. Thank you for your help!

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Still no fix for the completely messed up Plug-in delay compensation in Logic Pro X 10.5.1

All Logic Pro X 10.5 users please do report this issue:

Just take 2 minutes and send a bug report to Apple about the missing plug-in delay compensation for automation, side chain signals and beat synced plug-ins. Thank you for your help!

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

Thanks for the video. I reported this already, but I will submit another report for version 10.5.1 and a link to your video.

Not that you should have to do it, but can a sample delay be used as a temporary workaround in your example?