track automation: snapped to grid (quantitized)?

frugalpole

been searching on this for a while. is there a simple direct way to write automation in logic either snapped to grid or already quantitized? it is really killing me here not being able to do that.

is there an expection that quantizing track automation (snapping to grid) is done somewhere else.

hi there

not sure if this works in logic7

but in 7.11, goto key comands in your preferences, search for key command for 'automation event edit'. Assign a key to this command.

Now when you use ths command an event editor shall open up with the track automation data in it. Then you can use the quantise options in the parameter section of the window (left hand side).

Hope this works in version 7.whatever you have

regards

This annoyed me too. So, I made a series of 'automation lfos templates' that Keyfax New Media decided to distribute. I basically took the time to make 260 preset templates with various wave form shapes in pretty much every rhythmic denomination you might want. Its easy to use....just drag and drop a template file and convert to object data to track automation (key command). Then convert it (it defaults to volume) to the parameter of your choice by holding option as you select the parameter you want from the track automation pull-down menu. Massive time saver...

Check Keyfax.com for the product and demo video.

;)

Majool

I gotta say Msjool, that, firstly , well done on creating so many templates for the lazy musician....

but...... i dont actually believe that copy/pasting your templates is really much easier than using the automation event edit, as I mentioned above, except that automation event edit comes free with logic - as opposed to buying your yemplates!

Not a big dig - but let's not make out that automation event edit is quite so convoluted as your post implies eh mate? I know we all gotta make a living.

i made a number of templates myslef a while back, but found it easier to just write/edit automation data direct, than having umpteen objects you gotta sift through first, find the right one, then quite possibly still want to tweak anyway!

Oh well - ho hum - jus my thoughts!

cheers

leigh

:)

I hear ya! I definitely like the event editor and the enviornment to do automation patterns/edits too!

The thing about the templates are that having them all there and done is not just a time saver, but also a creative tool. Since they're already 'done', I'm inpsired to do things and try things that I otherwise wouldn't have had the patience to do. Since the templates are there, I can drag a sawtooth shape 96th note pattern to a track and apply it to cutoff in a matter of seconds just to see what it sounds like. Thats the freedom in having them done for you...

But, either way I know what you mean! Its an 'expensive' luxury to have...but I think of them like a 'plugin' that saves time and does things that although you could do otherwise, you prob wouldn't unless the access was so easy.

I still think patterned automation to grid should be part of Logic though! Can't wait till it is (even though that will kill my already limited sales!)

;)

Majool