Smart Tempo Workflow Question

88keys

Hi all. I smiled a big smile tonight when I recorded a piano part with no click as the first track in my project and had a tempo map seconds later. As a singer/pianist/songwriter this is a game changer for me. I have a question about workflow that I'm hoping someone can answer.

Often, my first track is a midi piano track using a VI like Ivory or Pianoteq, not an audio track. What I want to do is generate the project's tempo map off of that. I used to do it with beat mapping. But now, if I play that first track without a click, the most efficient thing to do to generate the project tempo map seems to be:

1. Record the Vi midi track

2. Bounce the track in place to a newly created adjacent audio track

3. Lock SMPTE on the original midi track (cause I want that intact)

4. Analyze the new audio track (File Tempo > Actions > Adjust Project Tempo and Align to Downbeat) and get the tempo info from this track

Great, this works (and feels like bringing coals to Newcastle). But now I really want my original midi to be what I work with, so . . .

5. Unlock SMPTE and try to manually align this original midi with the audio.

This sort of works, although it's admittedly tough to get the alignment exact.

It occurs to me that there might be a better way to do this since my original midi should be more easily analyzed for tempo info than audio is in the first place. And no matter how much I think about it, it's always a little confusing that midi ADAPTS to tempo changes, when in fact I want some midi to DETERMINE the tempo changes, but then still visually conform to bar and beat alignments LATER.

Thank you in advance for any advice on this.