Studio Horns and Strings

John Morton

Early impressions of these new instruments (big band instrumentation):

Trombones: much improved. They don't sound like a section of euphoniums any more and the edge no longer kicks in with a vengeance above a certain velocity.

Saxes: no real difference here. I'll continue as before even though the Legacy saxes are hidden around the program, instead of appearing together in a list. Why? Also, a sustained sax unison over 7 bars cut out after 4 bars or so which didn't happen before.

Trumpets: it's useful to be able to create a section of, say, four solo trumpets instead of the more 'luminous' unison section sound that exists with each of the Legacy instruments but the trumpet sound is thin and weak. On balance it's better, though and I can enhance the sound (so they sound like trumpets).

Strings:

I much prefer the Legacy sound. The new strings are thin and weak even after re-setting the tracks (the Legacy sounds in an existing arrangement were still listed in the Settings button even after selecting the Studio Strings). I chose a tremolo articulation in the instrument window but it didn't work. I had to re-affirm my choice in the list editor. Also, it isn't possible to select groups of notes in the piano roll and give them different articulations. This is strange because the drops and doits are done in this way. I suppose I'll have to slice the regions and mult them down because my arrangements constantly change articulations and switch between legato/non-legato etc.

Finally, I get erratic playback at the beginning of an arrangement with the lower instruments pleasing themselves whether to sound or not. It took three re-starts the last time to get them all going.

I'll continue my search for a user manual in case there's a solution to the above.

I chose a tremolo articulation in the instrument window but it didn't work. I had to re-affirm my choice in the list editor. Also, it isn't possible to select groups of notes in the piano roll and give them different articulations.[....]

It works, and everything that you said is impossible, is possible.

You need to do this

articulation-1.png.9d2e00d45fe540fe1e760cbd07f65fc6.png

to activate this

articulation-2.png.f9a7f264e0fb465c654f4b2a92a1ec9b.png

Is it just me or do the strings have a heck of a lot of bow noise in the upper registers?
They have a generally seedy sound, for me. It's early days yet so I'll try more enhancement but Apple's description of the Studio sounds as being 'deeply sampled' is questionable. The trumpet sound is like something from a toy town cartoon but I achieved tolerable success with drastic EQ. As always, it's difficult to criticise a program that is such incredible value. Look at the cost of Alchemy alone, before it was given away free!

• 2 weeks later...
Early impressions of these new instruments (big band instrumentation):

Saxes: ... a sustained sax unison over 7 bars cut out after 4 bars or so which didn't happen before.

You need to use the ‘sustain’ articulation to get the length you’re looking for. It’s the only articulation that seems to be looped. The others give you ‘short, medium and long’ sustained notes that were recorded with pre-recorded dynamic changes.

Finally, I get erratic playback at the beginning of an arrangement with the lower instruments pleasing themselves whether to sound or not. It took three re-starts the last time to get them all going.

Had the same issues with the “ensemble” presets because the MIDI scripting couldn’t decide which voice in a chord should be played by which instrument. If you use “start with top note” (or whatever the menu pop-up called it), and then use the MIDI editor to play the top note a tick or two earlier and other chord notes separated by one or two ticks the chord will play correctly orchestrated on playback. ;)

Thanks for that. Logic has always had problems understanding the very start of a piece.

I've only found the the solo trumpet and solo trombone instruments in the Studio Instruments to be useful, so far. With careful EQ I can get a pretty good sound. Apart from that I'm still using the existing instruments.