Help with Vocal "Peaking"

zgill76

Before I ask this question I want to say I am fairly novice when it comes to Logic. I have about a year under my belt and am still trying to really master it.

So here whats happenin. I recorded a vocal track into my mix, added compression and EQ'd it and it was solid, placed it into the mix and the vocal track has multiple places where it peaks and gets "fuzzy" or "too much gain sound", yet when I single out the track it is fine and crisp.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this. Does it have to do with the rest of the track? The compression? Any tips on this?

P.S. I have harmony and layers to the vocals as well and when singled out they sound great. Feel it may have to do with the mix not sure, or I have to add another plug in.

Thanks

Okay so I just double checked my Stereo out and yes its at -6db, not at 6db. So, do you have any other suggestions that I should check? I tried to really lower the Stereo out to see if it did anything and the one part is still peaking, I feel it has to something with the EQ of the track in relation to the vocals, I feel there is too much "sound" at one time and they are all trying to take over one another. Any take on this?

Just to be clear, the "fuzzy" stuff is happening on the overall mix, not the vox track specifically?

Either way, insert the Multimeter utility from the Metering menu in the Stereo out channel and also on the vox track....

Make sure both are visible/in Analyzer mode.

Play the project and see if the peaks are actually happening in the vox track at the same time as they are in the "main mix".

If not, use Multimeter on other tracks in your project until you figure out what track(s) are causing the peaks.

These are likely to be tracks that share a frequency range with the vocal....so in essence, you have multiple tracks bolstering/reinforcing a particular frequency range at a particular point in the song.

The solution, once you've identified the culprit(s) is to adjust the mix balance/dynamics/EQ - overall or at that point in the song - so that these overlapped frequencies are seperated or reduced in level.

As per Dave's comments - it's difficult to make suggestions without hearing/having the project in front of us....so my suggestions above may not be relevant.

I would recommend gain staging and ensuring the output of your plugins are the same as the input. These will fix your issues.

https://www.musicianonamission.com/gain-staging/

Pretty much this here, assuming you are running through some other plugins as well. Chances are you might be internally clipping one of the plugins which could be attributed to this type of effect.

As a general rule, try to get your average loudness level betwee, -18 to -24dBFS and your peeks somewhere under -3 to -6dBFS. Also when you process something with a plugin, try to make sure it leaves the plugin at roughly the same loudness as it was when it went in.

This should help you avoid any clipping in the mix process.

I would recommend gain staging and ensuring the output of your plugins are the same as the input. These will fix your issues.

https://www.musicianonamission.com/gain-staging/

I disagree with much of what is in that article. Unfortunately it seems like even those who give advice on gain staging don't truly understand it. One thing I do agree upon is a workflow idea, clip gain automation, which is basically what I suggested here: using the gain in the Region inspector to get your audio regions at the level you want rather than later having to turn the volume fader down by 15 dB. But it's just a method, not an obligation. You could just as well use a Gain plug-in inserted as the first plug-in on the channel strip, or use whatever gain parameter is available in the first plug-in used (for example the gain in your EQ or the input gain on your compressor...).

More important than what you're doing is why you're doing it. If you're just applying some method because someone else told you to do it then it's probably not very helpful. If you understand why something needs to be done and can come up with whatever method suits you to achieve the goal then you're one step ahead of the pack. Don't hesitate to ask questions here and ask why etc...

• 1 year later...
Just to be clear, the "fuzzy" stuff is happening on the overall mix, not the vox track specifically?

Either way, insert the Multimeter utility from the Metering menu in the Stereo out channel and also on the vox track....

Make sure both are visible/in Analyzer mode.

Play the project and see if the peaks are actually happening in the vox track at the same time as they are in the "main mix".

If not, use Multimeter on other tracks in your project until you figure out what track(s) are causing the peaks.

These are likely to be tracks that share a frequency range with the vocal....so in essence, you have multiple tracks bolstering/reinforcing a particular frequency range at a particular point in the song.

The solution, once you've identified the culprit(s) is to adjust the mix balance/dynamics/EQ - overall or at that point in the song - so that these overlapped frequencies are seperated or reduced in level.

As per Dave's comments - it's difficult to make suggestions without hearing/having the project in front of us....so my suggestions above may not be relevant.

I'm a bit new but I think you just solved my major mixing issue, not finding a single channel at fault but a combo. thank you.