Old fashioned NON flex pitch shift for sound design

dcrand
Go to solution Solved by dolmenmoon,

I can't believe my first question in this forum is this stupid, but I really can't figure out how to do it. I'm using Logic Pro X for sound design in addition to music, and it's driving me crazy!

i want to shift a whole sound region by a given interval, say an octave, and have it sound an octave lower and be twice as long. Simple! Old school! I don't want to match it to any other pitch or tempo and I don't want it to "flex" at all.

I finally figured out how to do this with an individual sound within a region and it required an amazing number of steps including selecting "Speed (FX)" Flex algorithm, dialing in a transposition value, cutting out a lot of spurious flex markers and finally dragging the last one out to simulate the change in length. It should not be this complicated!

I just want to shift the whole region and then cut up the bits to use here and there. Isn't there a simple way to do this? I'm sure it's painfully obvious but I can't find it.

Thanks, dc

• Solution

This is my workaround for this—it's not ideal. Duplicate your region to a new track, or, if it's a midi region, bounce it in place. Then, also duplicate your new region next to itself, so, it's twice as long. Then, choose flex time's "Speed (FX)" on the new track with your first duplicated region, and drag from the upper-right of the region so it stretches out to match the length of the two side-by-side original regions on the original track (whew!).

I have no idea why, once choosing "speed FX" Logic does not allow you to type in a specific percentage or transposition, which would make Speed FX much more usable for pitch-dependent sound design.

I also miss this, its the most basic of all sound and music design techniques. All other DAWs I have worked with has this as super easy edits, its such a weird lack in LPX... I request it for every main.x update, please add to the choir :)

My workaround is either as Eric suggest, dump it in a sampler, but that is clumsy / unwieldy for detailed sound editing, so mostly:

1 - Hit Logic key-command for Create new audio file of region

2 - Hit Logic key-command for Edit audio region in External Editor (in my case Soundforge, if its open, this is instant)

3 - Hit Soundforge key-command for AUVarispeed, opens Pitch dialog box

4 - Enter Pitch value, for example -1200 cents for octave down, click Process

5 - Hit CMD-S to save file

6 - Hit CMD-TAB to Logic, which autoupdates the region to the new edit

It looks a lot, but for me this is done pretty much in an instant. Its the same "trick" as Davids suggestion above, just using external app, I just prefer it this way, I think they both make the same result.

Its so weird that the Speed FX flex algorithm (which would do this oldskool varispeed way, because that's how that algorithm works) simply ignores the region transpose values.... I mean, setting region transpose to -12 is the same as having that algorithm play at 50%? So just, do that, Logic? If we half the tempo of the project, that is actually what happens to the region....? So its just to connect the dots / activate that parameter! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I ended up using dolmenmoon's suggestion except that I did not need to duplicate the region, I just dragged its right edge out to create an "empty" part of the region, then did the flex thing to drop the pitch and stretch it. Yes, a way to enter a percentage would be handy and in fact, "normal."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Using the "audio file editor" did not work for me (10.3.3); It never offered a "Time & Pitch Machine" option anywhere I could find?

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 2.21.23 PM.png

You can see it in your menu, albeit grayed out, which either means your audio file isn't the right format (what format is your audio file?) or doesn't have the correct permissions.

• 3 years later...
Hi David, just wondering if pitching regions the way OP asked about has been made easier in the last four years? Is it possible to pitch an audio region the same way an old sampler would do it, directly and non-destructively from the Arrange view? If not, please consider this a feature request. Such functionality would be a big help with regard to sound design in general and sample-based genres like Jungle in particular.

Hi David, just wondering if pitching regions the way OP asked about has been made easier in the last four years? Is it possible to pitch an audio region the same way an old sampler would do it, directly and non-destructively from the Arrange view? If not, please consider this a feature request. Such functionality would be a big help with regard to sound design in general and sample-based genres like Jungle in particular.

Nothing has changed on that front, the closest answer if you don't want to create a sampler instrument is still the one that is framed in green, to use Flex mode Speed FX, and resize the region.

If you'd like to submit a new feature suggestion, we have a forum dedicated to that: viewforum.php?f=41