Pro Tools on Windows?

Howdy, all.

Does anyone have any experience running Pro Tools on Windows? I'm looking into a stemming slave machine running Pro Tools and thought I might save some money by running it on a less expensive Windows machine. It's will print stems with light mastering, monitor playback, and run video. I'm planning on using an Audio over Ethernet device like a Dante card.

Is this a giant mistake?

I'm not sure what are you hoping to acomplish.

anyway, in this day and age, penny pinching with slave machines when it's unnecessary just seems terrible.

With some clever project managment i can run pretty much everything on my MacBook Pro quad-core and its not the fastest machines on the planet.

I'm not sure what are you hoping to acomplish.

anyway, in this day and age, penny pinching with slave machines when it's unnecessary just seems terrible.

With some clever project managment i can run pretty much everything on my MacBook Pro quad-core and its not the fastest machines on the planet.

A less expensive windows machine does not mean an underpowered one. I’d be using the same processors and RAM as Apple uses, just a different OS.

I’m more concerned about running Pro Tools on Windows. I’ve never seen it done before, and Windows has the age-old stigma of being terrible with audio. Nevertheless, it seems there are many professionals out there who use Pro Tools with Windows. I’m hoping someone can help with the pros and cons.

Pro Tools runs fine on windows, know plenty of guys who do it!

I'm not talking about having an underpowered machine, but having a convoluted slave setup.

In that case I'd advice you to go all-windows and build an affordable-yet-powerful machine on that platform.

I'm just against master-slave setups because i think single machines are enough for audio

I'm not talking about having an underpowered machine, but having a convoluted slave setup.

In that case I'd advice you to go all-windows and build an affordable-yet-powerful machine on that platform.

I'm just against master-slave setups because i think single machines are enough for audio

In my experience, one machine has not been adequate for large orchestral templates, and there is no amount of project management that could solve that problem.

My reasoning for getting a third machine is to mitigate the painstaking logistics of stemming a high number of cues, having to rename them, then placing them into a Pro Tools session for delivery. If I have a machine running Pro Tools that I stem directly into, then I've saved an enormous amount of time. My research has told me that building a Windows machine is precarious because there are so many hardware incompatibilities with Pro Tools, and therefore perhaps not worth the trouble.

Maybe I could find a Mac Mini on eBay as the stemming machine.

SSDs inside macs are 6times as fast as few years ago meaning you can load much less into RAM and stream much more from the drive.

I mean, go ahead if you think it speeds up your workflow definitely worth it. 2nd hand mac mini seems like a good idea to me!

As far as I can see, all those years ago now, "these guys" – God help them (in those days ...) – pursued the PC platform, while "those guys" targeted the Macintosh.

Both of them never looked back – and, why should they? Both of them earned their success. Both of them made their money. (And, still do.)

"The Macintosh," in all of its various and very-different hardware manifestations, was always a tightly single-vendor-controlled hardware platform. "The PC," on the other hand, never was. ProTools developers, therefore, could never be 100%-certain about exactly what hardware their product might be running on, although they basically required their clients to "throw money at it," which they did. And so it goes.

Apples.® Versus Oranges. It's all good. "Just different, that's all." And never the twain shall meet. Either way, we still make Music.