Setting conditions to find note off

hungrydave

I may be wrong, but in my memory, Logic thinks of note off messages as note messages but with velocity equal to zero.

I'm trying to create a condition in the environment window to find note off messages coming in from my keyboard, but for some reason, they seem to now be all types of velocity. Because i cannot set the message type to 'note off', I don't know how i can set conditions to find note off messages.

Any ideas?

2084518747_ScreenShot2018-03-06at10_50_29.png.c94df24dc597a506bb7b8954e2b19a5f.png

I may be wrong, but in my memory, Logic thinks of note off messages as note messages but with velocity equal to zero.

No. A note created in Logic generates a Note On event at the beginning of the note and a Note Off event (velocity = 64) at the end of the note.

I'm trying to create a condition in the environment window to find note off messages coming in from my keyboard, but for some reason, they seem to now be all types of velocity. Because i cannot set the message type to 'note off', I don't know how i can set conditions to find note off messages.

Those are Note Off events, and they have their own velocity. Unfortunately Logic's environment doesn't offer any direct way to manipulate Note Off events. :(

Ok Thanks David.

Just out of interest, what do you think is causing the different velocity values in the note off messages shown on my environment monitor.

For example, the last two messages in the picture show:

Note ON C4 velocity=91

then

Note OFF C4 velocity=124

How does one release a key with different velocities? Where does this number come from?

Cheers

I see.

Thankyou david.

Actually for anyone else interested and reading this, I've thought of a way to single out note off messages:

Create a transformer which filters out everything but note info.

Pass that on to a transformer set to 'alternating split'

Now you get note on from one outlet and note off from the other, that means you've separated note off messages and can now perform any required transformations on them

:-)

Create a transformer which filters out everything but note info.

Pass that on to a transformer set to 'alternating split'

Now you get note on from one outlet and note off from the other, that means you've separated note off messages and can now perform any required transformations on them

That works only if you play a single note at a time and always release the last played note before playing a new one?

Oh yeah... Of course, I didn't think of that :-(

I suppose you could make a macro which separated every single note then performed the alternating splits individually then rejoin the note ons and offs.

Yes i realise this is getting a bit silly now, but in theory it's possible ;-)

While Logic doesn't, it is part of the MIDI standard: A Note On event with Velocity Zero means "note off" with no velocity information provided. In the early MIDI times when there were real 5-pin-DIN MIDI wires transporting 31250 bits per second, the transmission of a complete MIDI command including one status and two data bytes took about 1ms. Not much, but for chord notes the delay could be an issue - even more so if there were several devices connected to one MIDI port. In order to reduce the data traffic (a little bit), for consecutive data of the same type (status) you could leave the status bytes out, saving one third of the transmission time. So using the same status byte for Note On and Note Off was a time saver - and older keyboards didn't detect a release velocity (if it only detected a Note On velocity instead of using a fixed value, you could be happy).

With modern equipment (fast MIDI via USB or so, keyboards detecting Note On and Note Off velocity, lots of computer memory) there is no need for this limitation.