Mapping hardware controller to Piano Roll Modulation Controller

dmgoldstein1
Go to solution Solved by JakobP,

Hello,

I am trying to use a hardware controller to controller the Modulation Controller in the Piano Roll, the same way I can already control Pitch Bend. I have a Yamaha YPG-225 which has a Pitch Bend wheel, and when I use it to record MIDI instruments in Logic Pro it just works. I never had to do anything, it just automatically controlled the Pitch Bend, as it's supposed to.

298684320_pitchbendmapping.thumb.png.a983dd118f881d592b18e721837a8b01.png

Photo #1

I also have an M-Audio XSessionPro (https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-9900-51904-10-X-Session-Pro-Oxygen/dp/B000K67XDG), a cheap little external MIDI hardware controller. I want to take one of the faders and map it onto Modulation, just as the Pitch Bend wheel on my keyboard is mapped to Pitch Bend.

712566002_modulationwontmap.thumb.png.a1dc632d1ab9443faa88fb8fef866a6c.png

Photo #2

I have tried using the Controller Assignments window and the Learn function, but I can't get it to work. I can map the sliders on the XSessionPro to lots of other parameters, for example parameters of the Channel EQ.

1476739968_mappingparameter.thumb.png.77107f304088493ea5875b9b28c42d48.png

Photo #3

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so so much!

• Solution
Controller assignments is not the way to go here, you need to make your device send CC #1, which is the CC for modulation. Usually that is configured on the gizmo itself, but if that's not possible, you could use the midi fx plugin "Modifier" on your tracks, or setup a Transformer object in the Midi environment to convert the cc your fader is sending to CC1.

• 8 months later...